Fwd: Glastonbury 2001: restrictions of travellers and riff-raff.

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 20:03:49 GMT 2000

>From: Alan Lodge <tash at gn.apc.org>
>To: "The Land is Ours (E-mail)" <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Glastonbury 2001: restrictions of travellers and riff-raff.
>Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:19:45 -0000
>Encoding: 218 TEXT
>

>ALAN LODGE
>photographer - media: One Eye on the Road.
>Nottingham.  UK
>tash at gn.apc.org
>http://www.gn.apc.org/tash
>

>Monday, 30 October 2000
>
>some of you will have got this last week, sorry about that.  But since I've
>lost notes on who I sent it to, please, everybody can bear with me, for
>those that didn't get it ......  thanks.
>

>GLASTONBURY 2000   -
>Local council report  describes restriction to come on travellers attending
>and  green-field.
>
>the full post-Glastonbury 2000 report delivered by Steve Anderson (Head of
>Environmental Safety at Mendip District Council) to the Glastonbury and
>Street Area Board (the licensing authority for the Glastonbury Festival).
>
>http://www.mendip.gov.uk/mendip/minutes.nsf/12354601e165685b802568e4005f
>8eb8/dc8a40c6955123a88025697300566711/$FILE/MASTER+DOCUMENT.doc
>

>Guil-fin have also prepared it for download at:
>http://www.guilfin.org/festival/glastonbury.zip
>if the first one gives difficulties.
>

>This seem to cut straight to the issue at hand!
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>+++++++++++++
>10. The Police were to reconsider their response in dealing with the
>potential invasions of the site by a large group of travellers.
>
>And
>
>8.      Specific Recommendations
>
>a) The Festival Organisers and Police co-operate in resolving the issue of
>intrusion by the New Age Travellers convoys each year to the Festival site.
>   This year residents of Evercreech were affected by the noise from their
>amplified music.  The Council would need to be satisfied with the Police
>and Festival Organisers proposals for dealing with the travellers before
>issuing an Entertainment Licence.
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>+++++++++++++
>GOOOD GOD!!  How dare they.  We helped build this event, and it was
>something to do, with the alternative.
>
>With the post beanfield / stoney cross / and the general stress that
>travellers were under at the time in the mid '80's, I was quite involved
>with the politics of the situation.  It all started because of the trouble
>around the Stonehenge festival, and the influence that that had on gbury,
>  it meant that to keep licence / maintain the public  liability insurance,
>and hence be able to keep the event, they had to start to exclude the
>travelling population.  Ie, the regulation 'scapegoats' , to be thrown to
>the lions, to appease business eh?
>
>Its been on ongoing situation with hundred of thousands, having a nice
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".