Fwd: Narmada activists speaks out in Oxford

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 14:11:20 GMT 2000

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:57:04 +0000
>To: Oxyace <oxyace at ukonline.co.uk>
>From: Oxyace <oxyace at ukonline.co.uk>
>Subject: Fwd: Narmada activists speaks out in Oxford

>>From: "Keith Hyams" <keith.hyams at linacre.oxford.ac.uk>
>>To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
>>Subject: Narmada activists speaks out in Oxford
>>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:03:13 -0000
>>
>>INDIAN ACTIVIST TO SPEAK OUT IN OXFORD AGAINST NARMADA DAMS
>>
>>Tuesday 21st November, 8pm, Wadham
>>
>>Dr. Ravi Kuchimanchi, a Civil Engineer and Physicist turned activist from
>>India will talk about his experiences as an activist with the strongest
>>grassroots social movement in India today, the Save the Narmada Movement
>>(Narmada Bachao Andolan), a struggle of millions of largely tribal people to
>>protect their lives against the destruction being caused by the dams being
>>built on the Narmada River. The struggle has seen a lot of coverage in the
>>international media recently, after the recent verdict by the Supreme Court
>>which lifted a six year stay on construction of one of the largest of the
>>dams, Sardar Sarovar. This week the World Bank has also come in for heavy
>>criticism after announcing renewed interest in financing the dam. It
>>originally pulled out a decade ago after an independent review which it
>>itself commissioned wrote one of the most critical reports ever written
>>about the project - that was the first time the World Bank had ever been
>>forced to pull out of one of its projects
>>
>>The Save the Narmada Movement claims that Sardar Sarovar alone, which has
>>been called 'the greatest planned environmental disaster in history', will
>>displace half a million (mainly tribal) people who have no where to go once
>>their homes and land are submerged. In his work with the struggle, Ravi has
>>been involved in community based renewable energy generation schemes,
>>finding errors in government surveys and analyzing the Supreme Court
>>judgement. He has also been present at the 'satyagraha's held by the
>>villagers when they refuse to move from their homes when the monsoon rains
>>come, choosing to stay and face the rising waters rather than be forcibly
>>displaced into poverty.
>>
>>This will be followed by a screening of...
>>
>>NARMADA VALLEY RISES
>>
>>'A true life video about a bunch of corrupt politicians, a huge dam, and
>>millions of tribal people fighting for their lives, with the strongest
>>social movement ever to emerge from India since Gandhi's struggle for
>>Independence.'
>>
>>Time: 8pm, Tuesday 7th week (21st)
>>Place: Wadham College
>>
>>More Info: Oxford Dambusters, email nobigdam at email.com
>>http://www.narmada.org/
>>
>>Please forward this email to others who might be interested
>
>***************************************
>Oxyacetylene
>The free fortnightly newsletter for Oxford
>16B Cherwell St
>Oxford OX4 1BG
>Tel: 07970 343486
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".