Fwd: THE DIKE: climate action, The Hague, Nov. 18

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 20:45:43 GMT 2000

>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:35:54 +0100
>From: Martin Rocholl <martin.rocholl at foeeurope.org>
>Subject: THE DIKE: climate action, The Hague, Nov. 18
>

>THE DIKE: CLIMATE ACTION NOVEMBER 18TH, 2000
>
>-- please spread this email widely --
>
>People in England, being hit by the worst storm in a decade, just got
>a taste of what climate change might mean for Europeans. The rapid
>increase of extreme weather events, like droughts in the South of
>Europe or the floods in Italy, is a strong warning signal to take the
>threat of global warming seriously. Klaus Tpfer (UNEP) is right:
>"Climate change is already happening!" At the same time, the UN
>Climate Treaty is threatened by governments like the US or Australia,
>which try to water it down in order to avoid real CO2 reduction at
>home. The position of European governments is getting weaker and
>weaker.
>
>WE WILL NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!
>
>Join us in The Hague on November 18th to give a strong signal to world
>leaders during the UN Climate Negotiations! In a peaceful and colorful
>action with thousands of people from all parts of the world, we will
>build a dike around the conference building to demand immediate action
>against the upcoming climate disasters!
>Sandbags, free over-night and parties will be provided, food is
>available at low rates. Buses and trains are organised from all parts
>of Europe (see below)!
>
>PROGRAMME
>
>Friday, 17th, from 5pm: arrival of the participants and welcome
>(presentations, exhibition, music etc.) at the Malieveld in The Hague,
>Netherlands (near Central Station).
>Saturday, 18th, 8am breakfast and 9.30am gathering of dike builders at
>Malieveld, 11am march from Malieveld to the Dike action site at
>Nederlandse Congres Centrum (Johan de Witt Laan), 12am until 4pm DIKE
>ACTION, 4pm until 8pm coffee, exhibition, music, meetings and dinner
>at Malieveld, from 8pm DIKE BUILDER'S PARTY at Malieveld.
>Sunday, 19th, brunch and departure
>For detailed information see: http://www.foeeurope.org/dike.
>
>THERE IS ALSO A BUS FROM YOUR REGION:
>
>The following contacts can provide cheap and easy travel to The Hague.
>
>AUSTRIA: group train travel from Vienna
>Jens Karg, office at global2000.at, http://www.global2000.at/deich
>BELGIUM: bus from Ghent
>Ludwig Appeltans, dike at jnm.be, http://www.jnm.be
>CZECH REPUBLIC: bus from Prague
>Karel Polanecky, karel.polanecky at ecn.cz, http://www.duhafoe.cz
>DENMARK: bus from Copenhagen, going over the danish mainland
>Kim Ejlertsen, noah at noah.dk, http://www.noah.dk/energi
>ENGLAND, WALES and NORTHERN IRELAND: group travel from various places
>Nick Rau, hague at foe.co.uk, http://www.foe.co.uk
>(see below for Scotland)
>ESTONIA: bus from Estonia, takes people from all baltic countries
>Hanna Maran, hamar at ut.ee
>FRANCE: two buses from Paris
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".