Fwd: Launch of UK campaign against dams

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 20:55:13 BST 2000

>Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:08:09 +0100
>To: Oxyace <oxyace at ukonline.co.uk>
>From: Oxyace <oxyace at ukonline.co.uk>
>Subject: Fwd: Launch of UK campaign against dams

>>From: "Keith Hyams" <keith.hyams at linacre.oxford.ac.uk>
>>To: <oxyace at ukonline.co.uk>
>>Subject: Launch of UK campaign against dams
>>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:53:42 +0100
>>

>>>Launch of UK anti dams campaign: 8pm, Wednesday 25th (3rd week), Linacre
>>>College Abraham Building, Room 4
>>>
>>>(The session will begin with planning a response to the Supreme court's
>>>Narmada ruling as described in the previous email, before moving on at
>>>about 8.20 to plan the setting up of a more general UK campaign against
>>>ALL dams, which is what this email is about.)
>>>
>>>You probably know quite a bit about the destructive effects of the Ilisu
>>>dam, what you may not know is that there are hundreds of these monsters
>>>being built right now and that every single one of them has the same
>>>destructive effects: displacement of thousands (who almost without
>>>exception are not properly rehabilitated, and who are very often tribal
>>>peoples), massive environmental damage, exaggeration of benefits,
>>>flooding and waterlogging, the list goes on and on.
>>>
>>>Big dams are one of the biggest killers in the world today and are
>>>responsible for much of the poverty seen on the streets of the global
>>>South. The 3 Gorges dam in china for example will displace over a
>>>million people - they have nowhere to go. The North has realised what
>>>disasters they are but has to keep its dam builders in business, so has
>>>started exporting them en masse to the South instead (dams are one of
>>>the World Bank's favourite 'development' projects and they fund large
>>>numbers of them) despite their benefits being proved false or
>>>exaggerated again and again and again.
>>>
>>>If you are interested in finding out how the world is working at the
>>>moment or if you want to fight it - the case of dams provides a perfect
>>>microcosm of what's wrong with the world - this is an ideal campaign to
>>>get involved in (and as its a new campaign, we particularly need support
>>>at this stage to get it on its feet).
>>>
>>>Keith
>
>Oxyacetylene
>The free fortnightly newsletter for Oxford
>16B Cherwell St
>Oxford OX4 1BG
>Tel: 07970 343486
>oxyace at ukonline.co.uk
>http://come.to/oxyace
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".