Fwd: [gen-dist] UK Oil Protests

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 17:20:22 BST 2000

>From: "Rob Whitley" <robwhitley at hotmail.com>
>To: robwhitley at hotmail.com, charlie at harris.u-net.com,
>J2COLLINS at email.msn.com, cypo at ppoly.net, cypo at polycarpou.co.uk,
>mirandadunn at BishopDouglass.barnet.sch.uk, HEWETHICKS at aol.com,
>hss01je at gold.ac.uk, douge at gn.apc.org, TFor785831 at aol.com,
>noellynch at lineone.net, mirandadunn at x-stream.co.uk,
>spencerlloydpack at hotmail.com, andrew.cornwell at virgin.net,
>aidanr at dircon.co.uk, byrd at post.com, DorothyForsyth at aol.com,
>mhh at london.com, f.mortimer at ucl.ac.uk
>Cc: office at tlio.demon.co.uk
>Subject: Fwd: [gen-dist] UK Oil Protests
>Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:59:51 GMT
>

>>From: "eyfa office amsterdam" <eyfa at eyfa.org>
>>To: gen-dist-l at eyfa.org
>>Subject: [gen-dist] UK Oil Protests
>>Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:45:30 +0200
>>
>>***This is the eyfa general distribution list***
>>

>> > The Globe and Mail, Wednesday, September 20, 2000
>> >
>> > Why Big Oil backed the fuel protests in Europe
>> >
>> > By Naomi Klein
>> >

>> > When I arrived in London on Sunday, the city was like a jittery
>> > heroin junkie who had just shot up. The panic that gripped Britain
>> > when a coalition of truckers and farmers blockaded the nation's oil
>> > refineries had been replaced with an unreal calm. The gas was
>> > flowing again and, at the stations, dazed customers injected their
>> > tanks with rivers of unleaded.
>> >
>> > As is the case with any powerful addiction, the fuel crisis hasn't
>> > disappeared; it has been, momentarily, sated. Protests against oil
>> > taxes are cropping up across Europe and they may well return to
>> > Britain after the moratorium called by the truck drivers expires in
>> > two months. Canadian truckers are even threatening to mount copycat
>> > actions.
>> >
>> > Watched from a distance, the oil blockades in Britain look like
>> > spontaneous popular uprisings: regular working folk, frightened for
>> > their livelihoods, getting together to say, "Enough's enough." But
>> > before this David and Goliath story goes any further, it deserves a
>> > closer reading.
>> >
>> > There's no doubt that the fuel protests began when a couple hundred
>> > farmers and truckers formed blockades outside the oil refineries.
>> > But the protests became effective only when the multinational oil
>> > companies that run those refineries decided to treat those rather
>> > small barricades as immovable obstacles, preventing them from
>> > delivering oil to gas stations.
>> >
>> > The companies -- Shell, BP, Texaco et al. -- claimed they wouldn't
>> > ask their tanker drivers to drive past the blockades because they
>> > feared for their "safety." The claim is bizarre. First, no violence
>> > was reported. Second, these oil companies have no problem drilling
>> > pipelines through contested lands in Colombia and political revolts
>> > directed against them in Nigeria. When it comes to extracting oil
>> > from the earth, there seems to be no danger, including warfare, that
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".