Fwd: Undercurrents report live from Prague 26 Sept 2000

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 17:22:04 BST 2000

>To: underc-post-grizwold at topica.com, UC at topica.com
>From: undercurrents alternative news <underc at gn.apc.org>
>Subject: Undercurrents report live from Prague 26 Sept 2000
>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 05:04:06 -0700
>

>Undercurrents report live from Prague 26 Sept 2000
>
>By Martin Palmer and Paul O Connor,Undercurrents
>
>The images presented to the planet when the International Monetary Fund and
>World Bank hold their annual joint meetings are not ones of men in suits
>making key decisions for entire nations. The latest images are now of young
>people playing drums and waving banners, often lost in smoke and tear gas
>fired from riot police. Today, as the meetings got underway in Pragues
>former Communist-era Palace of Culture, a police and army guard set out to
>ensure the security of the castle as activists have dubbed it. Around
>8000 activists are on the streets of the capital of the Czech republic to
>disrupt the meetings, taking inspiration from the actions in Seattle and
>Washington DC.
>
>On Sunday the Undercurrents video crew arrived at the Independent Media
>Center to find police illegally insisting on checking the passports of
>everyone who arrived. When the Undercurrents reporters refused to give any
>details and attempted to enter the police dragged Martin while another
>grabbed his lens. The independent media responded by putting a dozen
>cameras in the face of the officers and forcing them to leave.
>
>Ya Basta! an Italian network of very together activists hijacked a train to
>take them to Prague. 1,200, strong they led one of the three parts of the
>demonstration. Protesters sorted themselves into three groups with blue,
>pink and yellow colours for ease of identification and cordination. Flags
>in the three colours led the march off in opposite directions both to
>surround the castle and also confuse the police.
>
>At the police barricade on the road bridge opposite the conference center,
>banners in various languages declared the protests illegal and that force
>would be used to disperse people. A stand off was the result with the Ya
>Basta! leading the yellow group trying to push past the police line.
>Activists succeeded in taking two police batons as souvenirs. Having made
>their was round to the other side of the center the Pink group, consisting
>of mainly British activists, moved in. With a sound track from a Samba band
>and activist folk band Seize the Day, activists got busy with fence
>cutting. One fence cutter said  I am doing this to stop people being hurt
>if the police try to force us into the side. Meanwhile the downed fence
>was dragged off to become part of the activists barricades. Police refused
>to talk despite various musicians trying to open a dialogue. A diminutive
>middle aged Indian woman from the Narmada dam campaign stood nose to nose
>with the line of armed & armored police in gasmasks. The pink group moved
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".