Fwd: People being beaten in Cells in Prague Now. Need Help Now.

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 17:22:54 BST 2000

>From: "Leeds EF!" <leedsef at ukf.net>
>To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:@radius.connectfree.net;>
>Subject: People being beaten in Cells in Prague Now. Need Help Now.
>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:08:11 +0100
>

>Protestors against the World Bank / IMF summit in Prague this week are being
>beaten, tear gassed, tied up for hours on end and sexually harassed in
>prison cells in the Czech Republic, following two days of severe police
>brutality on the streets of the city.
>
>The OPH legal team in Prague is reporting that there are more than 859
>prisoners being held as a result of S26 actions. The police are reporting
>that of that 859 around 200 are not Czech citizens. Only 20 have been
>charged. 30 people inside the jails have been denied food, water and sleep.
>We have reports of people having limbs broken and teeth knocked out. One
>woman has a broken spine. There is clear evidence of tourture by the police.
>

>And people are still being arrested.
>Those arrested are a combination of Peaceful protestors, Rioters and Medics
>(who were picked out first). All deserve support and protection from police
>brutality.
>
>They need your help NOW!!! Call these numbers and write to these emails to
>demand their release, complain about the brutality and generally hassle the
>authorities:
>
>Czech Ministry of Justice: wsp at wsp.justice.cz
>Czech President, Vacslav Havel: president at hrad.cz
>Czech Embassy: 0207 243 1115
>British Embassy in Czech Republic: 0042 0257 530278
>fax: 0042 0257 530296 info at britain.cz
>UK Foreign Office: 0207 270 3000 0207 238 4586
>
>Czech Centre zykan at london.czech.cz cclondon at czechcentre.org.uk 0207 291 9920
>fax 0207 4368300
>
>Despite the arrests, the resistance to the summit was highly successful,
>causing the talks to shut down one day early. For news of what really
>happened this week in Prague and for updates visit the website:
>www.prague.indymedia.org
>

>Brief summary follows
>
>!World Bank/IMF cancel annual meeting & pull out of Prague!
>
>The World Bank has now cancelled its meetings for the third and final day of
>its annual meeting (September 28), and is pulling out of Prague. This is a
>direct result of the successful resistance to the World Bank/IMF shown on
>September 26.
>
>September 26th background:
>11,000 police deployed in Prague (1/4 of total Czech police force)
>15-20,000 activists, operating in clusters of affinity groups, keeping in
>touch through communications network, barricade delegates inside Prague
>Congress Centre over 8 hours, in face of...
>Police using water cannons, tear gas, CS gas, rubber bullets, flash-bangs
>(stun grenades) in large quantities, baton charges against peaceful
>protestors, as well as pitch battles with tooled up Spanish/Italian affinity
>clusters
>People carrying medical supplies targeted and snatched by police
> [...]

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".