EU habitats directive

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 22:59:53 GMT 2001

EU habitats directive

'We must take our legal safeguards seriously, or we face the wiping out of
endangered species through the creeping loss of habitats.'  Margot
Wallstrom, EU environment commissioner.

The EU is to take the UK to the European Court of Justice for failing to
comply with the EU habitats directive. Under this directive planning
permission for development can only be granted for protected areas and/or
where endangered species are put at risk where 'there are imperative
reasons and an overriding case to do so'.

The UK is being accused of putting the interest of developers first. The EU
has said the UK is failing to enforce the directive and granting exemptions
to anyone who asks. If we look at Rushmoor, it is not even necessary to
request an exemption, planning permission is automatic.

EU environment commissioner, Margot Wallstrom, believes that planning
consent should only be granted as an exemption when there was no
alternative to the development, exemptions should not be the norm.

The EU is taking the UK to court because it has not altered its bad
behaviour since being formally warned last March that it was in breach of
EU law. Revised DETR rules state that sites should not be destroyed unless
there were reasons of overriding public interest, which included social or
economic justifications.

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights Movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

Postal address :
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG, England.
or contact us at:  office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Press enquiries :  0961 460171
website :  http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/

For a year's subscription for the TLIO  newsletter (3 times a year), we are
asking for £3 per annum.  Please make cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".