Re Observer: Fast track for planning laws

Anthony Rae ar at anthonyrae.com
Sun Jul 15 21:34:33 BST 2001

Just as a short response to this issue: don't think these changes are simply proposals which may happen in the future.  In some sense, they have already happened, by way of the changes introduced by the 2000 Rules for public inquiries introduced by the possibly little known Statutory Instrument 2000 No. 1624.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001624.htm

(See also DETR Circular 05/2000 Planning appeals: procedures, which I don't think is available on the web).

This drastically curtails the amount of time allowed for the preparation of your case before the PI starts.

It is only now that we are starting to face the first PIs held under the new Rules that the impact of these changes is being understood.  Some work is being done on the extent of this threat and no doubt you will hear more of this soon.

Anthony Rae