Deep Roots?

Ed Iglehart tipiglen at dircon.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 12:14:30 BST 2001

http://www.tipiglen.dircon.co.uk/misogyny.html

It seems likely to me that fire and language
are about the same age in humans, and developed together.  That we
have moved progressively bigger fires progressively further away
from view as we have come to regard written words more important
than spoken is evident in the progressive preference of laws (human
and very written) over natural, instinctive morality.  I have no
academic basis for my linking fire to language, but find it
impossible to imagine Homer, or even moreso those from whom he
heard the tales, without a fireside.

One of the interesting aspects of last wednesday's  Pilger film on
british TV  (http://www.johnpilger.com/)
was an official of the IMF, grasping at straws to find some
positive benefit from their rape of Indonesia,
claiming that the illiteracy rate had been substancially reduced.
Whether this is a good thing is in some doubt:
http://www.tipiglen.dircon.co.uk/misogyny.html
xx
ed
--
"The more clearly we can focus our attention
on the wonders and realities of the universe about us,

The conservation movement is a breeding ground of communists
and other subversives.  We intend to clean them out,
even if it means rounding up every birdwatcher in the country.
 --John Mitchell, US Attorney General 1969-72

Yet my mind was not at rest, because nothing was acted,
and my thoughts ran in me that words and writing were all nothing
and must die, for action is the life of all and if thou dost not act,
thou dost nothing.
 -- Gerrard Winstanley, A Watchword to the City of London, 1649

"Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence;
 the palaces of kings are built on the ruins of the bowers of paradise.
 For were the impulses of conscience clear, uniform, and irresistibly obeyed,
 man would need no other lawgiver;"
                     -- Thomas Paine, On the Origins of Government...1776
            (http://libertyonline.hypermall.com/Paine/CS-Body.html#ORIGIN)