History of ecological living in Britain?

RC162 at mercury.anglia.ac.uk RC162 at mercury.anglia.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 16:38:32 GMT 2001

Ive been reading some books on BioRegionalism. The literature is
entirely American.  They keep on refering to Native Americans as
examples of cultures whose identity was firmly based in the nature of
the region.  I think that in order for an eco-village to create and
maintain a culture of sustainability its members have to have an
understanding of the local ecology and ways in which to make a viable
business in harmony with this.  What do I mean?  In Cambridge there
is a shop 'Botanicus' which is planning to produce local herbal
concoctions such as shampoo soap etc. from herbs grown in harmony
with nature in Cambridgeshire as opposed to shipping them in from the
Czech Republic which it currently does.  This could be seen as a
bioregional business.  What I really want to know and hope that one
of you can help me with is  in the history of Britain where do we
look for an example of when we produced things in this bioregional
way?  Where as americans refer to Native Americans where do we refer
to?  When is the best example of people in Britain living according
to natural laws as opposed to economic laws?  Did people have free
access to nature and organise business collectivelly with a
consideration of sustainability before the revolution/civil war,
before the normans, before the romans?  Which is the best time in
history to see this?