Permaculture Association 'Voices for Change' debate

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 11:14:12 BST 2001

The Permaculture Association 'Voices for Change' debate

"The future use of land in Britain" - Saturday 6th October, at Kingsley
Hall, Bow, E.London

The future use of land in Britain is at stake.  How we act now will be
looked upon by our children walking in the dew across the fields of these
lands as a turning point for better or for worse.  These are critical days
and we must act with one voice.

Most of us just want to get on with our own lives, moving towards
sustainability, making ends meet and believing in the rightness of our
visions and dreams.  But bigger wheels are turning that we can't
ignore.  The foot and mouth experience is the last straw.  We can't afford
to be at the sidelines of the debate about future land use.  Permaculture
design offers solutions and examples that can help to move things
forward.  But so far our voice as a network is largely unspoken and unheard.

A shift is taking place all over the land, from small pockets of
permaculture activity towards a real wave of change.  Disparate groups, and
networks are emerging as partners for change, all wanting to see positive
and practical dialogue with Government, and willing to work together to
achieve this.  If we are to meet the land crisis head on, which is but one
issue amongst many, we must act together.

The Government has now announced a new Policy Commission on Farming & Food,
which will advise on how the UK will achieve a sustainable rural economy
and advance economic health and animal welfare reform.  The timescales of
this commission are alarmingly short, with a draft report timetabled for
the end of December.  If we are to act we must do so quickly.

We cannot let the interests of large corporations and landowners continue
to dominate land use.  We need fresh thinking.  As Mark Fisher found in his
review of government farming policy and initiatives, there are some
positive developments, and organisations like the National Trust are
promoting integrating farming systems and whole farm design.  We need to
support the positive, and also make our own unique contribution.  Deciding
the future use of land affects us and so must include us all.

Voices for Change after the AGM this year in London on October 6th at
Kingsley Hall was not just another fringe debate - it's part of a larger
process that begins by us opening the doors for an inclusive dialogue to
shape and build a Permaculture Britain.

Written by Jonathan Evelight

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights Movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

Postal address :
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG, England.
or contact us at:  office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Press enquiries :  07961 460171
website :  http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/

For a year's subscription for the TLIO  newsletter (3 times a year), we are
asking for £3 per annum.  Please make cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".