volunteers needed on organic farm

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 00:16:47 BST 2001

>Originally sent by: "jasmine alice hazlehurst" <jasminesmile at hotmail.com>
>Subject: This may be of interest to some diggers?
>
>A fantastic volunteering opportunity
>I am writing to you on behalf of the Edinburgh Cyrenian Organic Farm.  We
>are currently recruiting volunteers to work on our farm.  This fantastic
>opportunity is as mutually beneficial for the volunteers as it is for our
>selves.
>
>What we ask of our volunteers is that they come to the farm on a regular
>basis, preferably at least one day per week.  There is plenty of scope for
>the volunteer(s) to pursue/develop a personal interest. At the same time
>we are happy to provide training and supervision for those who are seeking
>experience in a broad range of organic farming skills.
>
>The farm has 8 acres of land.  Two rare breed pigs and 7 piglets, Angora
>goats, Shetland sheep, free range hens, and 3 cows.  The farm has been
>organically managed for years but is currently being converted to meet
>SOPA organic standards.  We are planning to develop a wildlife pond with
>some tree planting; we would also like to create a wild flower
>meadow.  Some of these projects however are still in the early planning stages.
>
>The Farm is run by Edinburgh Cyrenian Trust, an independent local charity,
>working with and for homeless people, established in 1968.  We aim to
>create and operate services, facilities and opportunities for
>disadvantaged people offering effective and lasting routes out of
>homelessness and promoting social inclusion.
>
>The Cyrenian farm vision
>The Cyrenian farm is a creative, safe, therapeutic environment where
>vulnerable young adults learn and develop through the facilitated activity
>of living and working with others, tending crops, caring for animals, and
>developing transferable skills, with freedom and support to access
>positive opportunities that will further achievement of their ambitions.
>
>I work as a full time volunteer and live in the community alongside our
>residents.  Volunteering with the Cyrenians is very rewarding as I really
>enjoy the company of the residents finding ways to help the rest of the
>community out in any way that I can. This is a very satisfying experience.
>  I also really enjoy working in the herb garden, which has become a
> personal project of mine  but there is still plenty to be done and I
> would welcome help.
>
>If you are interested in volunteering at the farm, or would like more
>information please dont hesitate to contact Linda Birnie at the farm
>office on 0131 333 5202, or fax 0131 333 1392.  Alternatively call the
>community no. 0131 333 4913.  We can be contacted by e-mail at
>cyrenianfarm at beeb.net or please feel free to look at our website at
>www.cyrenians.org.uk

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights Movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

Postal address :
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG, England.
or contact us at:  office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Press enquiries :  07961 460171
website :  http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/

For a year's subscription for the TLIO  newsletter (3 times a year), we are
asking for £3 per annum.  Please make cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".