Nationlism

msbrown at cwcom.net msbrown at cwcom.net
Sat Apr 20 13:11:37 BST 2002

On Mon Apr 15th, Dice George said:
>"on a national-by-national basis??? theres other alternatives, lots of
different structures at different levels, some things decided globally, some
for europe, some england, some parish council, many by the individual.."  ...etc

across the world to "opt-out" of the state (as has started to happen in
significant numbers in Mexico and now Argentina), then it is meaningless to
ignore the predominance of the nation state. My point is that in a world where
we do have to reach international consensus on the basis of ensuring that the
further destruction of the global commons does not continue, then it would be
counterproductive not to have national status, even if we appreciate that this
definition of what a "nation" is should recognise that the collective identity
that the "nation state" is meant to represent is far more complex than any
state administration can assume powers over beyond a certain amount (ie.e they
should devolve power as much as possible - for instance Chavez in Venzuela has
initiated what is called the "Constituent Assembley", where power has been
devolved so as to include more citizen participation).

You made the point that there are problems regarding borders between
countries.  I quite agree. That is why "states" as we recognise them should
recognise and leave alone communities who wish to operate outside the confines
of the nation state (automonous anarchist communities) like nation american
communities in North America.  Also, in Africa particularly, because the
borders between nations states were artifically created by imperialist empires
dividing the continent up between them, the dissolution of state structures of
authority occurs because isolated tribal communities increasingly assert their
independence and rightful place to return to ancestral lands, while for the
greater mass of civil society, trust in the state as an honest broker and
dispenser of collective social needs recedes as state-sponsered social and
helth services collapse due to structural adjustment policies imposed by the
IMF and World Bank. (Kwesi Kwaa Prah - Director of the Centre for Advanced
Studies of African Society). Recent events in Kenya, Uganda and southern Sudan
highlights the increasing assertiveness of particular communities. In April
2000 owing to water shortges in Northern Kenya, 4 to 5000 Turkana with weapons
entered Uganda from Kenya and took possession of Kidepo National Park. Fighting
broke out between them and Dodoth and Jie. In the other direction, 2,000 Bokora
moved into Kenya for food. In the face of these population movements, initially
the Uganda authorities threatened to forcibly remove the Turkana. The response
of the Turkana was that they were armed and ready for all-comers. The Ugandan
authorities hesitated and requested the Kenyans to help in the removal of their
citizens. The Kenyans responded by drawing attention to the fact that 2,000
Bokora had moved into Kenya and could not also be either controlled or returned
by Kenyan security forces. In the end a "people to people" treaty was reached
by the various non-state parties themselves. This understanding took no
consideration of the exsitence of state borders, and involved the Dodoth, the
Mathiniko, the Jie, the Turkana and Topasa of Southern Sudan, allowing the
Turkana to stay where they were. The pastoral Maasai till today have little
recognition for the border between Kenya and Tanzania, regarding it as a
hinderance to their age-old pattern of life and an infringment of their
traditional rights. The large population movements we are seeing in recent
years in the Great Lakes attest to the crude artificiality of the existing
states in the area and their borders.
For whole article entitled "The Decomposition of the Post-Colonial State", by
Kwesi Kwaa Prah, go to the following website:

devolved power so as to include more citizen participation to what is called
the "Constituent Assembley".

From:  "george at dicenews.com" <george at dicenews.com>
Date:  Mon Apr 15, 2002  11:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [diggers350] Re: Nationalism:

>>>on a national-by-national basis. ???

theres other alternatives, lots of different structiures at different levels,
some things decided globally, some for europe, some england,
some parish council, many by the individual..

what really pissed me off about thatcher's MPs is that they wanted all power to
Westminster, not devolving much up or down or sideways

the germans voted for hitler, the israelis for Sharon

and because i dont like 'nationalism' therefore i'm against 'internationalism'
which presupposes 'nations'

and with nations theres the problem of where turkey and kurdistan have their
borders, and what happens to those of a minority tribe born the wrong side of
the borders, and those who're 'mixed race' like farmers hedges and cattle,
a way of rationing food... does a person belong to the land where one's born?

its american nationalism thats scary, most brits know our fate is linked with
europe but i fear some americans think they could go it alone, pull up the
drawbridge