ROMA MARK UN HUMAN RIGHTS DAY

msbrown at boltblue.net msbrown at boltblue.net
Sun Dec 15 12:10:36 GMT 2002

Ustiben reported on 13/12/02:
>ROMA MARK HUMAN RIGHTS DAY<

* * *

Protests across Europe on eve of Copenhagen summit

Tomorrow 's EU gathering in Copenhagen will set the stage for the entry in 2004
of an additional one million Roma; another four million are scheduled
to obtain Union citizenship three years' later.

While status as Europe's largest national minority cannot be denied, most Roma
inside and outside the EU remain at best second class citizens; tens of
thousands are stateless.

Yesterday, Roma activists across Europe marked Human Rights Day with rallies
and protests, many appealing for UN action. But though the UNHRC is at
loggerheads with EU members over mass "removals", in particular to Serbia and
Kosovo, deportations look set to continue.

In London, speakers at a UNA-UK conference were pessimistic at the prospects
for Roma within an expanded EU. TERF representatives characterised Roma in
eastern Europe as "recycled" migrants. After years of sedentary existence,
large numbers were being forced to emigrate by unbridled racial attacks -
beatings, murders and house burnings.

"Three Roma were shot dead by police in Romania last week," Dr.Boris Muntyanu
told delegates at Church House.

APPEAL TO UNITED NATIONS:

At l2 noon, timed to coincide with a simultaneous demonstration in the Romani
township of Sutor Orizari. Macedonia, Roma asylum-seekers and refugees from
Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland and the Ukraine gathered outside Central Hall,
Westminster, birthplace of the General Assembly, for a symbolic appeal to the
United Nations. They were accompanied by Jean Lambert, MEP, of the Green Party.

Afterwards, Ladislav Balaz, TERF chairman, spoke at a House of Commons
committee room meeting on the present plight of Roma asylum-seekers in the UK.
He noted that despite the fact the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary would
soon be EU members, large-scale "removals" remained the order of the day. On
present figures, around 40% of those targeted for fast-track detention and
deportations were Roma.

"Why go on causing this misery?" asked Balaz. "At the very least the Home
Office could stop putting in appeals where adjucators have granted asylum."

Taking this point, the meeting's chairman Bob Russell MP (LibDem) promised to
raise the issue at a forthcoming discussion with Immigration Minister Beverley
Hughes.

Valery Ivanov, aged l6, a pupil at Hounslow Manor School, told how at a Romani
political rally in Bulgaria, he and his mother, along with others, had been
severely beaten by police. He remained in a coma for ten days and was not
expected to live.

"My mother was hit about the head," Ivanov recalled. "She still has problems
and can't remember things. She is not well. But her application for asylum has
been refused."

"This Government, and in particular David Blunket, seems hell-bent on deporting
as many people as possible with scant regard to indivual claims like Valery's,"
commented Russell.

COALITION LEADS CAMPAIGN

In the past year, TERF co-ordinator Grattan Puxon said, Roma and long-
established Traveller groups had begun to come together and find common cause.
Eviction from so-called unauthorized encampments and trailer parks and forced
removals out of the UK were aspects of one all-embracing, racially motivated
policy: get rid of the Gypsies.

As a response, the recently-created Traveller Law Reform Coalition, of which
TERF formed a part, had adopted a simple but dramatic slogan, Stop Ethnic
Cleansing. Those were the words pinned to the barricade when an attempted
eviction was halted at Woodside on 4 November.

Patrick Egan, spokesman for Dale Farm, said people on his site faced rising
hostility. Basildon District Council wanted to prevent any development.
The latest tactic was to issue stop orders prohibiting installation of water
and electicity to new plots. Local MP John Baron had stated everyone was
welcome as long as they lived within the law - yet backed the
council's appeal to the High Court when a planning application was successful.

"We are trying to regularize our position," Egan emphazied. "But each time we
take a step forward the local authority does all it can to outlaw us again."

Summing up, Keri McCormick said she perhaps personified the growing sense of
unity among Roma. "I'm a Romani working with Travellers in Scotland and will be
attached shortly to the European Roma Rights Center in Budapest. All of us are
struggling for the same thing."

"We've been pushed into the present crisis" Balaz contended. "Entry to the EU,
creation of the European Roma Forum and new legislation may be part of the
answer. But nothing has been, or ever will be, handed to us on a plate. Our
rights will only be realized through organization and action."