Defend Council Housing

msbrown at boltblue.net msbrown at boltblue.net
Wed Dec 18 17:18:32 GMT 2002

Austin Mitchell MP introduced an adjournment debate on council housing
last Tuesday. The full text and the government’s response can be read
from a Stop Press link at the top of the DCH website
( http://www.defendcouncilhousing.org.uk/ ).

The most interesting part of the reply from Under Secretary of State,
Tony McNulty, was the challenge to critics to "take part in the full
debate that will unfold from mid-January".

The lobby is the perfect opportunity for all of us who believe in
council housing to present our case and bring pressure to bear on
government to agree direct investment with no strings attached.

Birmingham tenants are outraged that after voting 2 to 1 only eight
months ago the Birmingham Housing Commission, appointed by the council,
is proposing that one third of homes should be transferred.

UNISON and GMB have already booked a coach each from Birmingham to
ensure tenants and their members can get down to the lobby of Parliament
on January 29th and we already know of other transport from Liverpool,
Manchester, Wirral, Stockport, Newcastle, Doncaster, Wakefield,
Sheffield, Bristol, Colchester, Sandwell, etc. We want to publish an
updated list of transport on the website so please ring/email in details
as you make arrangements.

We are currently sorting out speakers for the rally at Westminster
Central Hall. Gerald Kaufman, the Labour Minister for Housing in the
1970s will join other MPs, tenants reps, Dave Prentis (UNISON), John
Edmonds (GMB) Jon Thompson (UCATT) and Jack Dromey (TGWU).

Please contact your MP to make an appointment and ask them to sign EDM
116 on Council Housing.

Keep DCH informed of any appointments and transport arrangements you
make.