Sponsored Stop & Serach at Fairford - Reclaim The Bases 5/6th April

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 13:51:54 BST 2003

Fairford - Reclaim The Bases 5/6th April
A weekend of independent weapons inspections & the world's first
sponsored STOP & SEARCH (with prizes) to raise money for charity to
help with relief work in Iraq.
advisory note: Due to the political nature of this sponsored event it
is difficult for charities to be directly associated with it. We
appologise to CARE for linking with them with this protest without
gaining their consent. We still think donating any money raised to
charity is a good thing and suggest each participant identifies the
charity of their own choice.
There is a list of charities working in Iraq at:
http://www.casi.org.uk/info/charities.html
Fairford Reclaim The Bases
A number of groups have contacted GWI to find out what we're
organising for Reclaim The Bases and wanting a little more info
than 'don't get shot'... well we're not organising anything because
any organised event is likely to be policed to death.
Instead we're going to disorganise the weekend as follows:-
Members of the public, plane spotters, walkers and all manner of
ordinary citizens are allowed to travel freely across the country to
visit USAF Fairford and inspect the B-52 bombers as they load-up to
bomb Iraq. Peaceful protesters are also citizens and are permitted
free passage around our free and democratic country to protest at the
location of their choosing (how outrageous!). So head for Fairford
and conduct your own independent weapons inspections... be creative,
have fun, don't get shot!
Please note we will be posting information on the types of weapons
we're looking for on this site in the days leading up to Reclaim The
Bases. It is quite clear the B-52's are now loading large quantities
of dumb-bombs but this isn't getting any press coverage. So lets
explode the myth of precision bombing... we're talking about carpet
bombing now. Bring cameras, binoculars, telescopes, video cameras and
record the loading of dumb-bombs and other dodgy weapons such as
cluster bombs or DU tipped cruise missiles. Afterwards hassle your
local press, national press contacts and elected representatives
until the myth of precision bombing is thoroughly ground into the
dirt (which is where it belongs).
The World's First Sponsored STOP & SEARCH
In conjunction with the weapons inspections we are highlighting the
use of Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 stop and search powers
which have been used at Fairford since 8th March to stop and search
literally hundreds of innocent, legal anti-war protesters. If you are
in the vicinity of the base, visiting G10 Peacewatch camp or
observing the bombers you will likely be stopped by police and
searched. This can easily occur several times in one day.
So if you'd like to take part in the Worlds First (and only)
Sponsored Stop and Search then get your sponsorship form here, at:
http://www.cynatech.demon.co.uk/Reclaim-The-Bases.htm

Your mates can sponsor you a fixed amount or an amount per search.
Once you've collected your sponsorship money send it direct to the
charity of your choice – a list of charities working in Iraq can be
found at: http://www.casi.org.uk/info/charities.html
PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES
Prizes have kindly been donated by The Green Shop and are up for
grabs in the following categories.
 Most stop & search (or same person) over the weekend - Solar
powered mobile phone charger.
 Most bizarre arrest (without charge) as judged by the GWI legal
support team - 1 litre blood red paint (environmentally friendly &
non-toxic for die-ins and other creative anti-war activities).
 Best fancy dress costume - please email photos to
fancydress at gwi.org.uk - 1 litre blood red paint.
 Couple of more litres of blood red paint for categories as yet
undecided - suggestions to info at gwi.org.uk
Civil Liberties Watch
We are compiling a dossier that we'd like to be more convincing than
some of Downing Street's recent attempts, we will need to have as
much detail as possible. Please can you let us know as many as
possible of the following details:
Your name
Date and time of incident
Place where incident happened
Summary of what happened, and why you think it was unreasonable
Names / identification numbers of police officers / armed forces
personnel
involved (including US personnel if relevant)
What was the justification given for the conduct by the officers
(tell us
the legal power if the officer quoted one).
Names of any witnesses
Details of any follow-up action (eg complaint made against the police)
Do you have any further material to show what happened, eg photos,
contemporaneous notes, video tape footage?
Anything else you think is important
Your contact details - including name and address
Please pass on the info to us by email to this address
berkshirecia at hotmail.com and you're welcome to pass details of the
monitoring project on to anyone else who might be interested.

NVDA: Fairford is becoming a focus for NVDA (non-violent direct
action).
If you wish to take direct action we suggest you link up with an
experienced group who can provide support and training. We believe it
is vital that any actions are entirely non-violent otherwise the
peace movement risks becoming discredited and losing the wide public
support we now enjoy.
Also please remember the Fairford Peace Camp / G10 Peacewatch are
legal activities that we wish to remain in place. Do not give the
police any excuses to close down the peace camps - thank-you.