the Argentina Autonomista Project

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 01:07:31 GMT 2003

Please forward this to groups/individuals you might think would be
interested!

The Argentina Autonomista Project is a grassroots effort to share non-
hierarchical strategies of resistance to global plundering of the
economies through solidarity delegations to Argentina and tours of
unemployed women and artists to the United States and Europe.

Here in London we have started talking about hosting the London part
of the tour. Some people from different groups including London
indymedia, London Action Resource Centre and Walthamstow Anarchist
group met a week ago and decieded to contact groups, networks and
social centres around Britain to see if the tour could be extended UK
wide. What it would require of you is to host the activists, organise
gigs/talk for them and pay £80-£90 towards their airfare. In an ideal
world they would do about 12-15 talks over a months period in
England, Scotland and Ireland.

Are you interested? We're going to set up an email list specifically
to organise the UK tour in the next few days. In the meantime it
would be great if you could talk to people in your area and find out
if you are interested in getting involved. Please let me know as soon
as possible as the Argenitian activists are waiting to see if they'll
be able to come to Europe, and we're also going to have to buy
tickets in the next month.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Natja (LARC)

more info on the tour:

'We are part of the Movimiento de Trabajadores Desocupados Anibal
Verón (Unemployed workers) of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Three years
ago, when unemployment hit our neighbourhoods, we started organising
through a process of direct democracy. We have no affiliation with
political parties or institutions. We meet in the streets or at our
self managed co-ordinated micro enterprises: the bakeries, the
organic gardens and the childcare facilities. On July 26, 2002, two
of our friends, 23 year old artist Maxi Kosteki and 21 year old Darío
Santillán were executed by the police, during the repression of a
piquete (road blockade) where hundreds of women, men and children
were beat up and tortured at the police station. Since then, several
of our friends have been kidnapped, shot at and harassed by
paramilitary in different ways. As part of our effort to establish a
communication centre with the U.S. and Europe, we will be hosting
delegations of US and European students, artists, activists and peace
organisers. We will tour to the U.S. in April and to Europe in June
with Graciela Monteagudo, a Bread and Puppet puppeteer and Human
Rights activist.

Our tour will include two unemployed women and an anthropologist as
speakers and Graciela, presenting a full-length puppet show about the
economic crisis in Argentina'.

Time Line: Delegations, workshops in Buenos Aires: January/March
2002. Tour to the U.S.: April 2002. Tour to Europe: June 2002.

For more info on the project please go to
www.davidrovics.com and follow the piqueter@ link.

We are planning to get the tour to England in the beginning of June.
If you are interested in organising a gig, a benefit, hosting the
activists or sponsoring the tour please email fieldgate at gn.apc.org or
call LARC on 0207
377 9088.