The Cheating Classes: How Britain's Elite Abuse their Power, by Sue Cameron

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 21:50:15 GMT 2003

http://members.dodo.com.au/scratchy/training10.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Pitchford" <ian.pitchford at s...>
To: <RADICAL-PSYCHOLOGY-NETWORK at J...>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 12:41 AM
Subject: [radical-science] The Cheating Classes: How Britain's Elite
Abuse Their Power

> BMJ 2003;326:605 ( 15 March )
>
> Reviews
> Book
>
> The Cheating Classes: How Britain's Elite Abuse their Power
> Sue Cameron
> Simon & Schuster, £17.99, pp 259
> ISBN 0 684 85130 X
>
> Trevor Jackson, assistant editor.
>
> Frank Cunningham was an 18 year old mechanic in Manchester when he
crushed his left leg while motorcross riding. Doctors x rayed the
bone, confirmed that there had been a break, put the leg in plaster,
and sent Frank home. It would take time to mend, they said, but there
was nothing to worry about. Several months and many operations later,
Frank had to have his leg amputated just below the knee.

What had gone wrong? Sue Cameron claims that Frank was a victim of the
cheating classes, those who are among the most privileged members of
society, such as doctors, lawyers, bankers, and politicians. Cameron
says that few of these people think of themselves as cheats, but
nearly every day some of them inflict injustices, great and small, on
ordinary men and women.

In Frank's case, a clot had formed after the fracture, cutting off the
blood supply to his lower leg. But when Frank had complained of a
cold, consuming pain, Cameron reports that a doctor had told
him, "It's October. I'm not surprised your toes are cold with the
weather like it is today." Days passed and complications set in.

What follows is a disturbing tale of one man against the medical,
legal, and bureaucratic establishment as Frank pursues a negligence
claim. Eventually, after losing at the first hearing and failing to
find a solicitor to take it further, Frank is forced to argue the
case himself in the Court of Appeal.

Full text
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7389/605/a

> The Cheating Classes: How Britain's Elite Abuse Their Power
> Sue Cameron
> Paperback - 304 pages (1 September, 2003)
> Pocket Books; ISBN: 0671018108
> AMAZON - UK
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671018108/humannaturecom
>
> Synopsis
>
> An examination of what is happening to the ordinary people of
Britain at
the
> turn of the new century. Illustrating her argument with real cases
of
abuse,
> corruption and complacency, Cameron reveals how the British citizen
has
been