Tenant Farmers Assoc criticises County Land and Business Assoc

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu May 22 21:34:16 BST 2003

CLA attacked over review plans
Source: FWi

By Farmers Weekly staff

THE Tenant Farmers Association has criticised the Country Land and
Business Association's stance over the mid-term review proposals for
decoupled payments.

National chairman Reg Haydon said: "The CLA claims that any
entitlements should be attached to land are nonsense.

"It has aligned itself with environmental organisations and is
playing on their fears about the environmental impact of the European
Commission's proposals for CAP reform."

Mr Haydon urged environmental organisations to consider the motives
of the CLA very carefully.

"It is lobbying like a wolf in sheep's clothing as its main concern
is not the environmental issues but that the control of the new
entitlements should be in the hands of those who own the land and
that would be a disaster for British agriculture.

"There is no pending environmental crisis associated with decoupling
and no danger that the support will leave agriculture or the rural
environment.

"Indeed, we can see major positive spin offs for the environment and
the rural economy from decoupling," he added.

But Oliver Harwood, head of rural economy at the CLA, said the TFA
was 'misrepresenting' the organisation's policy.

"We fully support decoupling and are not pulling the wool over the
eyes of environmentalists.

"What we are saying is that the payments should be made to the
occupier of the land, just as IACS is now."

He said tenants would make their claims as normal but at the end of
the tenancy the payments would remain with the land. "Nobody is
losing."