Mapuche seek to Reclaim Land

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Sun May 25 19:24:27 BST 2003

author: By Héctor Tobar / LA Times Staff Writer 2003
(news_2347 at latimes.com)

Growing like cabbages in neat rows planted by one of the largest
forestry companies in South America, the trees suck the water out of
the ground, killing off streams and making wells run dry in this
corner of Chile. For Ancalaf and other Mapuche Indian leaders, that
is one indignity toomany.

web link
http://www.nodo50.org/kolectivolientur

COLLIPULLI, Chile-- Growing like cabbages in neat rows planted by one
of the largest forestry companies in South America, the trees suck
the water out of the ground, killing off streams and making wells run
dry in this corner of Chile. For Ancalaf and other Mapuche Indian
leaders, that is one indignity toomany. So every now and then, the
Mapuche set ablaze the trees and the trucks of companies that plant
them. Ancalaf is charged with burning five vehicles as part of a
smoldering, low-tech war that also is being fought with slingshots,
chain saws and homemade shotguns. Just as often, however, the Mapuche
fight back with peaceful means. Medicine women called machis pray for
the spirits of the water and the earth to stand fast against
the "exotic species" transplanted from North America and Australia.
On the Internet, activists spread word of their struggles, making
allies in Sweden, France and other countries where leftists have ties
to Latin American compatriots. "We've entered into a period of
darkness of water, and this is bringing us to the brink of
extinction," said Rayen Kuyeh, a Mapuche poet and playwright. "If
wanting to defend the spirits of the water, the trees, the birds, the
earth and the air makes me a terrorist, then go ahead and call me a
terrorist." The environmental impact of commercial tree farming in
Chile has helped feed a renaissance of activism and cultural pride
among the nation's 1 million Mapuche, the original inhabitants of
what is now south-central Chile and parts of Argentina. The Mapuche
held off European incursions onto their land for centuries, signing a
1641 treaty with the Spanish crown that was later thrown out by an
independent Chile, before the tribe was finally vanquished in the
late 19th century. Relegated to reservations â€" called "reductions"
here â€" most Mapuche now work as impoverished farmers or field hands
or live as a marginalized minority in Chilean cities. "Our objective
is the recuperation of the territory of the Mapuche people," Ancalaf,
40, said in a jailhouse interview. "We want to control our destiny
and shape our future according to the cosmology of our people." [In a
manner presciently reminiscent of what the US is becoming:] Held
without trial since November under anti-terrorism laws passed during
the dictatorship of Gen. Augusto Pinochet, Ancalaf and a dozen other
militant leaders have become heroes to many Mapuche, even those who
disagree with their tactics. "The Chilean state is criminalizing the
struggle of the Mapuche," said Alfredo Seguel, a former government
worker and a member now of Konapewman Mapuche, a group of university-
trained professionals who have forgone big-city life to return to
their ethnic roots. "The movement to recuperate our territory isn't
just political," he added. "It's also a social, cultural and
religious struggle." In the last few years, the Mapuche have won
mayoral and city council elections for the first time. In the city of
Temuco, Mapuche university students have taken over abandoned
properties and established communal homes. Activists have opened a
Mapuche pharmacy in Temuco to dispense traditional herbal medicines
that are disappearing in the wild in part because of the effects of
tree farms, which now cover millions of acres of the Mapuche's
ancestral land. Impoverished indigenous farmers have formed tribal
councils to draft town constitutions and lobby local governments for
the return of communal land. In all, there are as many as 100 local
and regional Mapuche organizations in this region of Chile. "We are
seeing a revitalization of all aspects of Mapuche culture, even of
the Mapuche language, which was beginning to die out," said Alejandro
Herrera, a professor at the University of the Frontier in
Temuco. "Until recently, Mapuche parents wouldn't let their children
speak Mapudungun because having a Mapuche accent when you spoke
Spanish was a sign of backwardness," Herrera added. "Now, we see
groups of young people forming study circles to learn the language."
Pablo Huaiquilao is from a Mapuche family that left its impoverished
rural village two generations ago. In college, he met other students
who were starting to embrace their tribal identity. "I wanted to know
who I was, where I came from," he said. So he sat down and talked
with his grandmother. She spun a familial epic of land takeovers,
massacres and the time Swiss colonists â€" sent by the Chilean
government as homesteaders â€" set fire to the village's wheat
harvest. "It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle," he said. In
the Chilean media, the modern "Mapuche conflict" is most often
portrayed as a struggle between the order and reason of the country's
European heritage and an indigenous culture dominated
by "superstition" and violence. "Christian Group Attacks Machis,"
read a recent headline in the Temuco daily newspaper El Diario
Austral, which detailed one religious leader's attempt to wean his
followers away from indigenous remedies and healers. The Christian
distributed fliers that read: "Brother, if you don't want to be in
bad standing with the true God, reject these customs that the Mapuche
culture offers you." Farmers See Threat For Manuel Riesco, a sugar
beet farmer and president of a growers organization in Temuco, the
indigenous movement is a threat to farmers, some of whom have had
their homes burned down and their lives threatened because of
property disputes with neighboring Mapuche. "This is not going to be
the next Chiapas," he said, referring to the southern Mexican state
where indigenous rebels have battled government troops. "We're
talking about 200 hotheads, and those hotheads have 20 leaders who
are now in jail." Many farmers here are descendants of Swiss, German
and Italian immigrants who settled in the region in the early 20th
century. In the years since, descendants of the settlers have
acquired more land thanks to a series of decrees and laws that have
eaten away at indigenous communal holdings. Only in recent years have
the Mapuche started to fight back. "This is becoming like the Wild
West," Riesco said. Smoldering for decades, the conflict over land
began to catch fire again in the late 1990s. Like others here, Riesco
says the globalization of the Chilean economy and the government's
free-trade policies were the cause. The grain and dairy farms that
were once the cornerstone of the regional economy have been hard hit
by cheaper American exports. A farmer who once employed dozens of
Mapuche as laborers can find himself forced to leave land fallow or
sell out to the forestry companies. Thousands of former laborers have
been thrown out of work and forced to migrate to the cities. Two-
thirds of the Mapuche in Chile now live in Santiago, the capital and
largest city. As the Mapuche are forced to leave the countryside,
trees seem to take their place â€" clusters of eucalyptus and pine
planted in old wheat fields or where native forests stood. Harvested
by machine, the pine and eucalyptus trees are processed into lumber
and paper pulp for North American and Asian markets. The companies
that own those trees are constant targets of protest, including the
Santiago-based Mininco, which owns many of the trees around
Collipulli. In November, Mapuche activist Edmundo Lemun, 17, was shot
and killed by police during a protest at tree farms in Ercilla. On
Jan. 20, more than a dozen hooded Mapuche with homemade shotguns and
Molotov cocktails invaded a Mininco workers' camp outside the town,
setting fire to the living quarters. In confrontations with police
and forestry company guards, youths cover their faces with hoods and
scarves and sometimes hurl rocks with slingshots, a traditional
weapon used in battles past. "We're not in conflict with anyone,"
said Francisco Urzelain, a spokesman for Mininco. The controversy is
ancient history, he said, as relevant to modern Chile as American
Indian claims to Massachusetts. Corporate Stance "The Mapuche were
here before the Spanish came. We bought this land 20 years ago. No
one has presented any evidence in court to say we bought the land
illegally," Urzelain added before declining further comment. Mininco
and other companies also have become the target of a public relations
campaign led by European and American activists, including the San
Francisco-based group ForestEthics. Most of the trees planted in the
region are Monterey pine â€" a species native to California â€" and
eucalyptus from Australia, says Aaron Sanger of ForestEthics. The
density of the planting causes ground water to disappear, he says.
Often,the trees grow so close together that wildlife can't walk
between them. "Those trees are like an army marching across Chile,
consuming Mapuche culture," Sanger said. Native trees such as the
canelo and the luma, both integral to Mapuche religious practices,
are being driven toward extinction. According to one Chilean
government study, all native trees outside national parks could
disappear by 2015. Violent resistance to the tree farms first
exploded in 1997, when Mapuche residents set fire to logging trucks
outside the town of Lumaco, whose name means "waters of the luma
tree." Herrera, the University of the Frontier professor, said the
incident came after years during which the Mapuche tried
unsuccessfully to lobby local government. "They exhausted all the
procedures of the democratic system," Herrera said. "A week before
they set fire to the trucks, they traveled to Temuco in a last effort
to meet with the governor. But he wouldn't even let them in the
door." Six years later, Lumaco's Mapuche residents are still
seething. Last year, a group of men wearing ski masks and hoods used
axes and chain saws to level eucalyptus trees at the nearby Alaska
Tree Farm. Today, several leaders from the Lumaco area are behind
bars, charged with destroying forest company property. As elsewhere,
water shortages contribute to the conflict. "Twenty years ago, I
don't think anyone in our community imagined that one day we would
have to bring in water trucks to provide for the basic needs of our
families," said Alfonso Rayman, a leader of the Nagche Mapuche, a
subgroup that includes several communities around Lumaco. In an
attempt to soothe such passions, the local government has provided
town residents with cisterns to store water. But such programs,
Rayman says, don't address the root cause of the problem. The village
sits in a narrow valley surrounded by thick green clusters of trees,
each a company farm. For the Mapuche to feel free, Rayman says, those
trees must disappear. "The Chilean government understands the
indigenous problem as a problem of poverty," he said. "But what
drives us is the return of our land and the end of this invasion." A
few days earlier, in a small act of defiance, a group of boys had set
a fire in a hillside meadow near the town, Rayman said with a slight
smile. The blaze ran up the hillside and killed hundreds of saplings.
In the face of such resistance, the national government is trying a
carrot-and-stick approach. It works to improve schools and other
services in the region while adopting a get-tough attitude toward the
most militant leaders. "We've worked very hard with the forestry
companies and the indigenous communities" to resolve the conflicts,
said Ramiro Pizarro, governor of Chile's 9th Region, which includes
Temuco, Ercilla and Collipulli. "And there are people who want to
destroy that work." For those militants, Chile is using its anti-
terrorism laws, which deprivedetainees of the right to a speedy trial
and allow prosecutors to withhold evidence from defense attorneys.
Ancalaf, the Mapuche organizer from Collipulli, remains defiant. "We
call on all the Mapuche communities to begin a process of
recuperating their territory," he said. "Whether they decide to do it
with violence or without is a decision of each community." Still, he
makes clear that he believes fire is an especially effective tool in
advancing the cause. "If it hadn't been for that, the government
wouldn't even be listening to the problems of the Mapuche people," he
said.