Land redistribution - Dave and Tony again

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Mon Aug 30 17:51:36 BST 2004

Dear Dave,

Its not as difficult to redistribute land as you make out.

How about a points system much like the housing registers work on now - but
with families having priority?

There are plenty of ridiculously big landowners who could have their land
taxed directly. I mean they have to give up a proportion of their
landholding over 1000 acres every year. All this land would be rural to
begin with

Not everyone, by any means, wants to run a market garden. So demand for
land won't be too high. And with strict controls on the types of homes
people can build we can make sure there are no legoland style eyesores.

The main thing stopping redistribution is the vested interests of those
who've put their lives in hock for a roof over their heads. Ie those who
stand to loose if housing land prices stop rising or, God forbid, fall to a
more realistic level.

Tony

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://www.peoplefinder.org.uk
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://www.evnuk.org.uk
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -