[diggers350] Land party for affordable housing

Jock Coats jock.coats at oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 21:50:27 GMT 2004

And that Community Land Trusts will likely be a main plank of Lib Dem
housing policy and LVT/SVR is already policy (which is why Liverpool
and Vale of White Horse/Oxfordshire have the two pilot studies going on
currently).

However, I do still get the feeling that none of the parties, except
perhaps the Greens, but not even them in my experience, appreciate
quite how important land reform is - we are all special interest groups
- LLC is not Labour Party as I understand it, ALTER is a Lib Dem party
body but on the fringes as a lobby group.  I must confess to having
thought several times about starting a separate party focussing purely
on land and monetary reform though as its main policy.

Everyone is in that hell of bean counting and wanting to be the most
efficient administrators of the Whitehall machine.  These big
ideological debates need a focus as the central plank of a new
democratic settlement, and we aren't up there on many people's
horizons.  I find our economists are the worst, I have to say, pace
present company if there are any in this group!  They say the right to
ownership is a liberal thing.  What they can't see is that so very few
of us actually have that right!

Jock

--
Jock Coats, Oxfordshire Community Land Trusts
c/o Wardens' Lodgings, J1e Morrell Hall, OXFORD OX3 0TU
e: jock.coats at oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk
w: http://www.oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk/