[diggers350] Land party for affordable housing

Jock Coats jock.coats at oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 08:42:37 GMT 2004

Hmmm - I'm not sure this is the case.  I for one never forget that as a
non-home owner I am in the minority, and of course am seeking ways to
join that majority in some form or another (well - one aspect of it -
security of tenure).  A big part of the various land campaigns is
focussed on trying to prove that those who are in the 70% already (well
the 95% of that 70% who participate in the ownership of three or four
per cent of the land in the country) would be better off under LVT than
under an income taxation regime while those who own more would pay
more.  And I suppose part of that persuasion is trying to persuade them
of the "fact" (to my mind) that they don't in fact actually own what
they think they own - that there are so many conditions on home
ownership that it effectively means that it is a different form of
ownership from all others (like Churchill said).

Those who have their nice homes, however small, are also often those
who would rather not see any more - like the green belt defenders of
Oxfordshire who want to have their cake and ensure that nobody else has
a bite anywhere near them.  LVT can be used as a vehicle to make
existing land use more efficient and less likely to swallow up virgin
land for housing - and there's some success in persuading people that
ideas like LVT are better than urban sprawl for example.

Jock

--
J1e Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0BP, United Kingdom
T: +44 1865 485019 F: +44 845 1275714 M: +44 7769 695767