MP seeks byways ban for travellers

diggers350 tony at gaia.org
Mon Mar 29 23:58:40 BST 2004

MP & ex farmer seeks to make all by-ways private drives for farmers
newsgroups: uk.rec.rights-of-way

Lifted from Dorset Echo ---- followed by collection of cool quotes   Tony

MP seeks byways ban for vehicles
by Peter Hawkins

Thursday 18 March 2004

MOTOR vehicles could soon be banned from all byways if a bill proposed by a=
 Dorset MP is passed.

MP Robert Walter wants to close a legal loophole that allows off-road
vehicles to use unsurfaced roads in the countryside.

The Conservative MP will introduce a bill to the House of Commons on March =
24 under the 'ten minute rule' procedure that allows MPs to propose legislat=
ion individually.

Mr Walter said: "Those of us who are walkers, hikers or horse riders are co=
ntinually horrified at the desecration and damage caused to some of our bywa=
ys by the inappropriate and unsustainable use of those byways by recreationa=
l motor vehicles.

These unsurfaced roads are known as 'by-ways open to all traffic' (BOATS) o=
r 'green lanes' and the law allows motor vehicles such as 4x4s, motorbikes a=
nd quad-bikes to use them.

Mr Walter added: "None of Dorset's byways are designated and there are a nu=
mber of applications for BOATS on the basis that old vehicles like horse and=
 carts have used the road. At the moment the county council does not have th=
e power to say it will be open to traffic without engines, it has to accept =
all vehicles."

The bill he will propose after Prime Minister's question time is based on a=
 proposal from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs which =
has just finished a consultation exercise on the subject.

It will enable councils to ban vehicles with engines but allow exceptions f=
or farmers or those who need the roads to access houses.

Mr Walter said that recreational use of off-road vehicles was fine 'in the =
right places' but not on tracks used by walkers and riders.

The Green Lane Association is a national group dedicated to protecting vehi=
cle rights and safe driving.

Spokesman Julian Poulter said: "Less than four per cent of the rights of wa=
y network is accessible to vehicles and there is no evidence of widespread a=
nd systematic damage to their infra-structure."

From: "Brian MItchell" <brianmit at unisonfree.net>
Subject: Quotes To Guide Us Radicals Through Life.

The Untaught Syllabus.
In Their Own Words – Quotes For Peace Activists:
Quotes To Guide Us Through Life.

"Better to meet a person once than to talk about him for a hundred
years."
(Old Russian proverb.)

"A man is never so tall as when he stoops to help a child."
(Abraham Lincoln.)

"After the lion has had his kill, the buffalo will relax. "
(Old African proverb.)

"A sweet disorder in the dress
Kindles in clothes a wantonness."
(Robert Herrick. Delight in Disorder.)

"True friendship comes when silence between two people is
comfortable."
(David Tyson Gentry.)

"Man has great power of speech, but the greater part thereof is empty
and deceitful. The animals have little, but that little is useful and
true; and better is a small and certain thing than a great falsehood."
(Leonardo da Vinci.)

"Our civilisation is still in a middle stage, scarcely beast, in that
it is no longer wholly guided by instinct; scarcely human, in that it
is not yet wholly guided by reason."
(US writer Theodore Dreiser.)

"If a man appears to march out of step with his fellow men, it may be
because he hears a different drummer."
(Thoreau.)

"If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can
still call him vile names."
(US writer Elbert Hubbard.)

"When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff."
(Marcus Tullius Cicero 106-43 BC.)

"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable
possibilities."
(Aristotle.)

"The life so short, the craft so long to learn."
(Hippocrates.)

"Most men dream of things as they are and wonder why. I dream of
things that never were and wonder why not."
(George Bernard Shaw.)

"All men naturally desire knowledge."
(Aristotle.)

"At a certain age, some people's minds close up, and they live on
their intellectual fat."
(William Lyon Phelps.)

"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so
much as to be out of danger."
(Thomas Huxley.)

"One part of knowledge consists in being ignorant of such things as
are not worthy of being known."
(Crates (4th Century BC).)

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
(William James.)

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable,
those that are movable, and those that move."
(Arab proverb.)

"Every fool in error can find a passage of scripture to back him up."
(Shakespeare.)

"One fool can ask more questions that ten wise men can answer."
(Attributed to Shakespeare? (Unless anybody knows different, please
reply.))

"It is true you are not allowed to go out of here, but inside the
Bastille you are as free as any man in the world."
(Governor of the Bastille, 1790.)

"They shouldn't be killing all the rhinos."
(Kylie Minogue, 1979, when asked what she thought of the situation in
South Africa. (Apartheid ruled in South Africa until 1990.))

"Insanity – a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
(R.D.Laing.)

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something
from him."
(Galileo (1564-1642).)

"This above all: to thine ownself be true.
And it must follow, as night the day,
That thou canst not be false to any man."
(Hamlet.)

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."
(Mark Twain.)

"He who is plenteously provided for from within, needs but little
from without."
(Goethe.)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
(Isaac Asimov.)

"When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America
before the white man came, an Indian said simply: "Ours.""
(Vine Deloria.)

"In modern Seattle an Indian chief was asked by a supermarket
checkout girl: "What do you think of our lovely big supermarket?" The
chief replied: "Fine. What do you think of our lovely big country?""
(Anonymous.)

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on
the Mount."
(US General Omar Bradley, 1948.)

"Man is demolishing nature
 We are killing things that keep us alive."
(Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl.)

"Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate."
"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."
(Dante, "Inferno.")

"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above
principles."
(US author George Nathan, 1920?.)

"Patriotism is a lively sense of collective responsibility.
Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on its own dunghill."
(English poet Richard Adlington.)

"When a dog barks at the moon, then it is religion; but when he barks
at strangers, it is patriotism!"
(David Starr Jordan.)

"For us, patriotism is the same as the love of humanity."
(Gandhi.)

"The difference between a politician and a statesman is: a politician
thinks of the next election and a statesman thinks of the next
generation."
(James Freeman Clarke.)

"A conservative is a man who is too cowardly to fight and too fat to
run."
(US writer Elbert Hubbard.)

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are
conservatives."
(John Stuart Mill.)

"A liberal is one who has both feet firmly planted in the air."
(Anonymous.)

"He who knows how to be poor knows everything."
(French historian Jules Michelet, 1870?)

"I keep six honest serving men
They taught me all I knew:
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who."
(Rudyard Kipling.)

"The greatest wealth is to live content with little, for there is
never want where the mind is satisfied."
(Lucretius, 57BC.)

"If I keep my good character, I shall be rich enough."
(Platonicus (1st Century BC).)

"My riches consist not in the extent of my possessions but in the
fewness of my wants."
(J.Brotherton.)

"The diseases of the mind are more destructive than those of the
body."
(Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC).)

"O that I, who have seen the world and done all things should come
down to this."
(Kipling.)

"The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your piety nor wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Not all your tears wash out a word of it."
(Samuel Taylor Coleridge.)

"Putting the best words in the best order."
(Samuel Taylor Coleridge, describing his writing.)

"A just principle spoken from the depths of a cave can do more than
an army."
(Jose Marti.)

"When the tribal elders sit under the acacia tree, hold on to your
wives and cattle."
(Old African proverb.)

"Go to the ants and be made wise."
(Plato.)

"There's so much good in the worst of us
And so much bad in the best of us
That it doesn't become any of us
To talk about the rest of us."
(Anon.)

"Erst Kommt das Fressen, dan Kommt die Moral."
(Food comes first, then morality.)
(Berthold Brecht.)

"There is no centre of all the celestial circles or spheres.
The centre of the earth is not the centre of the universe, but only
of gravity and of the lunar sphere.
All the spheres revolve about the sun as their mid-point, and
therefore the sun is the centre of the universe."
(Polish Astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus, 1473-1543, in a statement for
which he was killed.)

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr."
(Mohammed.)

"Marry such women as seem good to you, two, three or four, but if you
fear you will not be equitable, then only one."
(The Koran.)

"Love does not die. Time cannot kill it, nor many miles nor even
death."
(Anon?)

"When the eagle settles in the same tree as the parrots, expect a
lot of malevolent hissing and squawking."
(Old African proverb.)

"To argue against any breach of liberty from the ill use that may be
made of it, is to argue against liberty itself, since all is capable
of being abused."
(English writer George Lyttleton.)

"In fame's temple there is always a niche to be found for rich
dunces, importunate scoundrels, or successful butchers of the human
race."
(Swiss writer Johann von Zimmermann, 1728-1795.)

"A lie can be half way around the worls before truth has its boots
on."
(Mark Twain.)

"The truth must not only be the truth – it must also be told."
(Bahais.)

"Give a man a reputation as an early riser, and that man can sleep
till noon."
(Mark Twain.)

"I have discovered the art of deceiving diplomats. I speak the truth,
and they never believe me."
(Italian Statesman Camillo di Cavour, 1810-1861.)

"Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing.
Nobody listens, and then everybody disagrees."
(Boris Marshalov.)

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive,"
(Walter Scott.)

"In my house I leave all the doors and windows open so that the
breeze can blow in from all directions. But I refuse to be blown off
my feet."
(Mahatma Gandhi, when the British criticised him for being obstinate
and not listening to advice.)

"There is something that is much more scarce, something rarer than
ability. It is the ability to recognise ability."
(Robert Half.)

"The man who never made a mistake never made anything."
(GK Chesterton.)

"It isn't that they can't see the solution. It is that they can't see
the problem."
(G.K.Chesterton.)

"To escape criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
(Elbert Hubbard.)

"We will either find a way or make one."
(Hannibal.)

"Give me a lever long enough
And a prop strong enough
And I can single-handedly move the world."
(Archimedes.)

"The most remarkable thing about the world is that you can understand
it."
(Einstein.)

(Marie Curie.)

"Nothing violent is intelligent."
(Voltaire.)

"I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if
useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
"The expression often used by Mr.Herbert Spencer of the Survival of
the Fittest is more accurate, and is sometimes equally convenient."
(Charles Darwin.)

"If we resort to an indirect test, and ask Nature: "Who are the
fittest: those who are continually at war with each other, or those
who support one another?" we at once see that those animals which
acquire habits of mutual aid are undoubtedly the fittest. They have
more chance to survive, and they attain, in their respective classes,
the highest development of intelligence and bodily organisation."
(Peter Kropotkin.)

"If then the question is put to me, would I rather have a miserable
ape for a grandfather or a man highly endowed by nature and
possessing great means and influence and yet who employs those
faculties and that influence for the mere purpose of introducing
ridicule into grave scientific discussion — I unhesitatingly affirm
my preference for the ape."
(Thomas Huxley, reply to Bishop Wilberforce, who asked if he was
descended from an ape on his mother's or his father's side.)

"Man is descended from a hairy, tailed quadruped, probably arboreal
in its habits... For my part I would as soon be descended from a
baboon... as from a savage who delights to torture his enemies...
treats his wives like slaves... and is haunted by the grossest
superstitions."
(Charles Darwin.)

"Darwin's theory of the struggle for existence and the selectivity
connected with it has by many people been cited as authorisation of
the encouragement of the spirit of competition. Some people also in
such a way have tried to prove pseudo-scientifically the necessity of
the destructive economic struggle of competition between individuals.
But this is wrong, because man owes his strength in the struggle for
existence to the fact that he is a socially living animal. As little
as a battle between single ants of an ant hill is essential for
survival, just so little is this the case with the individual members
of a human community."
(Albert Einstein.)

"We believe in community of goods, and have all our property in
common; we believe in non-resistance; we do not take oaths; we do not
take or hold public office; we baptise only upon profession of faith."
(The Hutterite Creed.)

"All of us are in the gutter. But some of us are looking up at the
stars."
(Oscar Wilde.)

"Nature abhors a vacuum."
(Karl Marx.)

"All men naturally desire knowledge."
(Aristotle.)

"Are you not ashamed of heaping up the greatest amount of money
and
caring so little about wisdom and truth?"
(Socrates .)

"True success is overcoming the fear of being unsuccessful."
(Paul Sweeney.)

"In every child who is born, under no matter what circumstances
the
potentiality of the human race is born again."
(James Agee.)

"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've
got it made."
(Anon?)

"Nature does nothing in vain."
(17th Century proverb.)

"Necessity is the mother of invention."
(16th Century proverb.)

"Hope is as cheap as despair."
(Proverb.)

"To the dead we owe only truth."
(Voltaire.)

"Here lies a poor woman who always was tired,
For she lived in a place where help wasn't hired.
Her last words on earth were, Dear friends I am going
Where washing ain't done nor sweeping nor sewing.
And everything there is exact to my wishes.
For there they don't eat and there's no washing of dishes.
Don't mourn for me now, don't mourn for me never,
For I'm going to do nothing for ever and ever."
(Borrowed from an epitaph in a church destroyed in 1916.)

"Man should not live in constant haste,
And tremble at the bell,
'Til life becomes a kind of prolonged illness.
He should turn away, and find somewhere
A better place to dwell.
With slow clock-ticking, dust collecting stillness."
(On a gravestone in East Anglia.)

HOW TO LOVE A CHILD.
"It is I! When the newborn scratches himself; when the baby, sitting
down, tries to eat his foot, topples over and angrily looks round for
the culprit; when, pulling himself by the hair, he screws up his face
in pain but resumes his experiment; when he strikes hhimself on the
head with a spoon and looks around wondering what is there that he
does not see but feels - he does not know himself.
When he studies the movements of his hands; sucking his small fist,
scrutinises it; when during breastfeeding he stops and compares his
foot with his mother's breast; when, toddling on his feet, he pauses
and looks down trying to find that which supports him so differently
from his mother's hands; when he compares his right foot, in a
stocking, with his left foot without one, he seeks to understand and
know.
When, in the bath, he examines the water, trying to find in the
numerous drops unconscious of themselves his own self, a drop
conscious of itself, he surmises a great truth contained in the short
word "I".
And then a new concern waits for him: he must find himself among
those around him. The mother, the father, some grown-up man, some
grown-up woman, some appearing often and others seldom - there are
crowds of mysterious persons whose origin is unclear and actions
mysterious.
And then he must find his own self in society, in mankind, in the
Universe.
Then, the hair is grey and still the work goes on."
(Janucz Korczak, teacher, doctor, writer, Poland. 1878-1942.)

THE HOSPITAL PORTERS' CHRISTMAS LAMENT.
"The tattered outlaw of the earth
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me; I am dumb,