Councils should provide traveller sites, say Committee of MPs

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 19:29:46 GMT 2004

MPs spark row over travellers' sites
Mon Nov 8 2004
ITV News Online
Ref: http://www.itv.com/news/britain_1262045.html

Councils should be forced to set aside land for gypsies and
travellers, MPs have said.

A House of Commons committee said there was a shortage of legal sites
but that councils would only provide them if the Government forced
them to.

In a highly controversial move it said the Government should
introduce a duty on all local authorities to lay on sites.

Around 3,500 travellers in England have no legal place to park their
caravans.

This means they end up parking illegally, causing anger and
frustration within communities.

In its report the committee said the situation would only improve if
councils provided more legal sites.

However, few would voluntarily provide sites because of hostility
from communities.

Villagers fear they will be overwhelmed with local services, such as
schools, placed under great strain.

But the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister indicated it was unlikely
to go ahead with the move.

In a statement it said a duty was "not necessarily an appropriate
solution" and had been tried unsuccessfully in the past.

Labour MP Andrew Bennett, who chairs the committee, said: "Conflict
between gypsies and travellers and the settled community has steadily
escalated in recent years. It is a disgrace. In a supposedly
civilised society people ought to be able to tolerate each other.

"The settled community often finds well-paid work for gypsies and
travellers but too often refuses to find space for them to live.

"The problem will only be resolved when the Government requires all
local plans to have designated land for gypsies and travellers and
all local authorities have a statutory duty to provide sites - and
central Government enforces this duty."

***************************
Travellers win High Court backing
Monday, 8 November, 2004, 13:42 GMT
BBC News Online
Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3992411.stm

Travellers at a site in Cambridgeshire have won the right to take
High Court action over council plans to evict them.

The High Court has allowed them to challenge South Cambridgeshire
District Council's attempt to throw them off land at Smithy Fen in
Cottenham.

About 22 applicants, who between them own 13 plots at Smithy Fen,
were granted permission for the challenge.

The judge said the case was urgent, and the full hearing should go
ahead soon.

However, the full judicial review is not expected to be heard until
January. Until then, the council may not take action against anyone
living on the site.

Quality of village life

Their argument is that they have a right to private and family life
under the European Convention on Human Rights.

But Judge Mr Justice Collins warned travellers generally that the
courts "would not countenance" the growing practice of gypsies moving
on to sites and setting up home before formally obtaining planning
permission.

He described the practice as "aiming a pistol at the local
authority's head".

The council has said it is only seeking to enforce the planning laws -
 at an estimated cost of £350,000 - and defend the interests of local
residents.

Council leader Daphne Spink said recently: "The delaying tactics
being employed by the illegally-camped travellers are very
frustrating, but we will not be deterred.

"The people who suffer most in this protracted process are the people
of Cottenham.

"The district council shares their concerns, and we are determined to
do all we can to stand up for them and, indeed, to protect the
quality of village life throughout South Cambridgeshire."

Gypsies are facing eviction from their own land this week,
despite an all-party commission's recommendation today
(8 Nov) that a duty be placed on local authorities to provide
spaces for caravan parks.
Families at Twin Oaks, Ridge, near South Mimms are now
dug in waiting for Blair to act: will they get a place to go
or see their caravan site bulldozed, as happened at
Chelmsford earlier this year.

******
S>O>S> EVICTION TAKING PLACE
SHORTLY OF FAMILIES AT
TWIN OAKS (see below)
CHILDREN FACE TRAUMA.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR
MONITORING TEAM
and PROTEST RALLY
PROTEST TO COUNCIL:
(see below)
******

Ustiben report
> >BIG UK ETHNIC-CLEANSING DRIVE >DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF HOMES By
Grattan Puxon (call 01206 523528)

IF YOU CAN SUPPORT US email:  ustiben.5 at ntlworld.com