Land reform a priority now for Chavez

Tony Gosling tony at resourceforge.net
Thu Sep 2 14:29:31 BST 2004

Why the CIA hate land reform
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/3612114.stm
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

>Venezuela land reforms to push on

>Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez, who survived a referendum earlier
this month, has vowed to step up controversial agricultural reforms.

>The government plans to enforce a 2001 land law that allows it to  either
tax or seize unused land, Mr Chavez said during his weekly  television
address.

>"We are going after the idle land and will put it to work," he said.
>
>The issue has provoked strong emotions in a country where a minority  own
the majority of agricultural land.

>Both sides
>
>Critics claim that Mr Chavez is trying to enforce a communist-style
economic programme that ignores property rights and will damage the
country.

>To his supporters, however, Mr Chavez is a champion of the poor who  is
taking steps to right many decades of neglect.

>Mr Chavez tried to play down the threat he poses to the landed classes.
>
>"We are not the enemy of the rural estates, we are not going to burn
them, we are not going to invade land," he explained.

>But, "in this stage of the revolution, I demand strict application  of
the constitution and the land law." However, some workers,
>impatient for the government to intervene, have already seized land.
>
>Productivity check
>
>The government will assess large estates and look at how best to  utilise
unused land.

>The redistribution programme allows for some of it to be given over  to
peasant cooperatives, which will get state aid to farm the land.

>The government last year said that it planned to hand out as much as  3.7
million acres (1.5 million hectares) to rural workers in the  early
stages of its programme, the Reuters news agency reported.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
====© Democracy for a Change
http://www.public-interest.co.uk/D4AC/index.htm

--
Tony Gosling - +44 117 944 6219
mobile +44 7786 952037

All emails are 'cleartext' to the NSA.
http://www.nsa.gov

Familiarise yourself with God's strategy.
http://www.bilderberg.org/trib.htm

All facts, no theory. Proofs of a conspiracy.
http://www.bilderberg.org/lucis.htm

My monthlyish e-bulletin
Check it http://www.bilderberg.org/pepis03.htm
Join it http://www.bilderberg.org/bilder.htm#pepis