the persecution of Travellers

Mark Brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:29:29 BST 2004

At paynes lane, the elderly couple being evicted have lived on the land they
own for 14 years, and locals who have moved into new homes built 4/5 years
ago have been lobbying for them to be moved on.

But, as with every other traveller issue, this story is not entielrly black
and white. It is clear that other families who also lived on the site and
who have now moved on were responsible for behaviour which upset other
residents - though this pales into insiginificnace in relation to those
anti-social behaviours which are mentioned in your quotes.

Clearly, there are many "travellers" out there who have caused great
discomfort and inconvinience to local residents over the years. But it would
be intellectually dishonest to say that a few bad eggs has ruined it for the
rest. The policy towards travellers has been one of exclusion and
extermination of an alternative-way-of-life - a sophisticated combination
of: removal of local council's proactivity for travellers (after the repeal
of the Caravans Act in 1994 and local authorities provision of traveller
sites), encouragement to buy (during the Tory policy drive on
owner-occupation), deliberate misinformation and lack of support within many
local authorities regarding the planning process, and a pursuance of
eviction through the planning process supported by quite malicious
victimisation in many instances. The problem that has manifested over time
is a blanket discrimination towards travellers generally - with local
councils prefering to execute an "Out-of Sight - Out-of-Mind" policy instead
of a proactive policy which makes provision for travellers subject to clear
standards to which they must adhere to. Meanwhile, the prejudices of little
Englanders bourne out in a latent extermination policy against alternative
lifestyles have been seen to be justified - justifying a clean sweep of
local provision for travellers up and down the land. The latest wave of
evictions of travellers through the planning process is really the last wave
- of travellers who had been encouraged to buy land after the repeal of the
Caravans Act in 1994 and local authorities provision of traveller sites.
This wave of evictions are from travellers who have had the financial and
intellectual clout to appeal within the planning process; many travellers
have already walked away from land they bought because they did not
understand the legal process and were given no advice from local councils.
Some travellers have been subjected to victimisation. Most have simply been
given woeful support and have even been deliberately misinformed (encouraged
to sign documents they shouldn't have signed, in the absence of legal
advice). Clearly, the self-support structures within travelling communities
were not there.

The long -term problem has also been that with council after council washing
their hands of travellers, this only goes to reinforce some travellers'
uncaring attitude towards civil society, and so, explains the profiliration
of conflict from various elements of the travelling comunity (though for
some, this was always there).