LVT - universally applied nonsense

marki_brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:09:17 BST 2004

Credible advocates of LVT would say that only large landowners (and
those owning property above a certain high value - say in central
London) would be subject to tax.  So, despite numerous postings on
this subject, some people still mistakingly believe that subsistence
farmers would be taxed just for owning a few acres, which is pure
tripe. Those people really should read responses to posts they have
already written on this subject (Tony).

The Common Agricultural policy needs to be scrapped, yes! The extent
of any land-tax policy needn't be so across the board, especially
since the requirement to tax even the largest landholdings in order
to break them up would not be that great if the state slashed the
amount of subsidy rich landowners get from the public purse.

Land Value Tax above a certain land acreage is, however, the obvious
policy to make sure land doesn't go back into larger consolidated
holdings if, after redistribution, those new landowners sold off land
to make a fast buck and so, contributed to a renewed consolidation of
market-share by a small number of buyers.

Re: Property rights, Winstanley's fine sentiments aside, back in the
21st century, in the absence of property rights, the only obvious
alternative option would be state ownership. That is an entirely
unsatisfactory option. Or, perhaps community ownership. That could be
satisfactory, subject to clear planning guidelines from central and
regional government guidance.

However, at the end of the day, the average smallholder likes a few
acres he/she can call his/her own. Whaetevr, the philosophical
agrument, there is no getting around this fact.

Mark

In diggers350 at yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gosling" <tony at r...> wrote:
> Dear Diggers,
>
> The idea that subsistence farmers should be taxed for the land they
hold
> is anathama to many on this list. As is the idea that a landowner
should
> have to force land into production which he'd rather leave fallow.
>
> That we should be taxed for the earth we need to play on, build our
homes
> on, get fuel and raw materials from and grow our food on is
abhorrent to
> many. And can be seen the thin end of the wedge of the most vile
economic
> slavery.
>
> So it'll come as a great relief to many of us Diggers that those who
> believe land tax is in any way related to the sort of land reform
> envisioned by Gerrard Winstanley, William Everard and the other
Diggers