Kevin and Tony on land redistribution

Tony Gosling tony at resourceforge.net
Tue Sep 14 21:20:12 BST 2004

Thanks Kevin

Six rejoinders here mostly answering specific points.

Tony

1.
EU has only a shred of democracy - and the parliament can't initiate
anything - its a corporate superstate - a fascist's wet dream. The fact
that dubious racist goons like the BNP are against it doesn't mean I, or
anyone else, should be for it.
If I could stop the counties being run from Westminster I'd do it tomorrow
- but I cant - so I say go the whole hog - give sovreignty to ordinary
people in the form of land to each family. And dissolve the superstate -
it appears to be dissolving itsself in warmongering madness anyway.

Why is it the facists in Europe and the UK, and the
>> newspaper
>> owners in the UK, all of whose companies are held in tax havens, are
> leading
>> the sceptic bandwagon ?. Are you sure you are not missing something,
>> somewhere ?
>> The ECHR is modelled in part on Magna Carta - its not foreign, just some
>> ancient English feudal landowners ideas come home to roost. (Ever wonder
> why
>> the Tories want to repeal it ?) All the sovereign state idea you want
>> gave
>> us was 100,000,000 dead between 1914 and 1946. Think you need to look at
>> something else. I know your neither a Tory nor a facist but that's whose
>> camp your in, on these issues. Couldnt join you there under any
>> circumstances. I'm Tory allergic.

2.
Me too - and if I'm the only person in the world refusing to jump on any
of these deadful bandwagons so be it. Actually I'm not the only one -
sorry to sound like john lennon here ;-) - and having worked in
broadcasting I know people don't acknowledge movements as credible unless
the media goes on and on about them.

>> In relation to banks and homeownership, 28% of the 16,500,000 dwellings
>> ,
>> about 4,620,000 homes, are morgtage free. The rest are on your 'banding'
>> concept from 100% down to 1%.
>> And no Tony, its not 3% own 50% of the land. Its 0.67% own 69% of the
> land.

3.
Are you sure that squares with the other statistic you gave
70% of the UK population own 75% of the land of the UK.

>> That may be a statistic, but it is also a fact. That is where so many
>> fall
>> down. They never look to see what are the hard actual facts, under the
>> statistics. But governments do and if you are challenging governments,
> thats
>> what you have to do too. A bank which has a mortgage does not own, in
>> law
> or
>> in fact, the land on which it has a lien. That is the kind of semantic
>> politicing that puts people off. Until you come up with a workable
>> alternative scheme, we are stuck with the banks/building societies as a
>> means of getting hold of any land at all. No ordinary person will accept
>> your assertions about bank 'ownership' because they are neither legally
> nor
>> factually true. The Wyndham acts generally imposed 20/30 years rent as
>> the
>> purchase price. The paid price was above the going rate, after the
>> agricultural collapse of the 1890's, maybe  alittle below it earlier.
>> But
>> there was never a pepper corn situation except over ground rents,
>> seperate
>> issue.
>> I do agree that there is a way forward, and let me give you an
>> alternative
>> fact, to show you where the 'enemy' is actually vulnerable. The overall
>> Ag
>> subsidy has been about £4.5 Bn, up to £6bn pa if you throw in BSE and
>> F&M.

4.
Isn't the subsidy there because of cheap imports? - that's what I thought?
A total failure of the market.

>> This is £6bn to an industry whose total turnover is £15bn. Unbelievable.
> but
>> it implies huge inefficiency in the ag industry, about 40% on the above
>> figure. Now apply that to acres. About 16m acres are uneconomic. Apply
> real
>> economics to farming and you theoreticall free up 16,000,000 acres.
>> There
> is
>> however, no way on earth that there are the people in the UK willing or
>> wanting to take that up. But that is where you go for the landowners.
>> The
>> law, ours and Europe's, protect all property owners from what you are
> trying
>> to do.
>> And with 69% of the country in their own homes, there is simply no
>> constituency in the UK for your 'community' concept. The days when that

5.
People who've paid for homes are not going to begrudge the minority who
want to subsistence farm and live an eco-freindly lifestyle - and this
subsistence farming aka smallholding etc. really isn't for everyone

>> could be done, are well over, or yet to come, but right now, you have to
>> deal with the realities on the ground. Super aspirations get you
>> nowhere,
> if
>> you have no constituency. I cant see any constituency amongst
>> homeowners,
>> for what you want. And they are 69% of the population.
>> And never overlook the fact that you are potentially attacking the right
>> ownership that was won at such cost, is still so limited, but is a step
>> in
>> the right direction. You are really and truly going nowhere, if you are
>> saying to 69% of the community, that you are going to damage the only
> asset

6.
yes - I'm happy to damage what is a crazily inflated price for homes