hi

George george at chaplin.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 22:49:19 BST 2004

Hello, I thought I'd better introduce myself, make sure I'm in the
right place.

I'm George Chaplin, Thornborough Campaign Coordinator for Heritage
Action (www.heritageaction.org). I am running a major campaign
against quarry company Tarmac Northern Ltd (subsidiary of Anglo
American Plc). Our objective is to completely close the quarry as
soon as possible. There is currently a planning application in
progress and we are rallying widespread opposition to this.

If granted the quarry will destroy a key part of one of the worlds
most important ancient monuments. It will also remove 111 acres of
high grade farmland that is also a feeding location for a large range
of rare wildfowl (ironically due to previous quarry workings creating
lakes that are used by migrants). In order to maintain farm income
244 cattle will be housed in fattening sheds and this number will
grow over time due to declining farm incomes.

Would you people like to here more?

George