A Cheesemaker replies

TLIO Chapter7 chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Sat Apr 30 23:54:52 BST 2005

This is all very garbled.

The withdrawal of subsidy support for British farming would be catastrophic
for British food production ‹ most of our food, especially our grain,  would
be imported. Large areas of UK land, especially arable land,  would be
neglected and there would be even more encouragement from the Government for
farmers to diversify.

What does James mean "free millions of U.K.  acres from
 commercial crop production"? What does he propose we should eat instead?
Commercial GM crops from the USA? or Brazil? or China?

If large scale commercial farmers can't make a living from growing wheat at
£60 per tonne, how does James expect sustainable smallhilders to be able to
do it without subsidies?

What James is advocating is the free trade model as advocated by Adam Smith
and  McCullough, ‹ the "Scotch feelosophers" that Cobbett ranted  against ‹
which totally screwed English farming for 70 years, from 1870 till 1940.

Stopping subsidies will only be benign for local food production if there
are tariff restrictions to discourage imports, and protect UK farming from
countries with comparative advantages; but  tariffs are not allowed by the
WTO.  One reason why we should all be demonstrating at the G8.

Finally, what's wrong with cheesemakers? Many dairy farmers have been making
the bulk of their income from cheese for several centuries?

Cheers

Simon