Cafe in Hackney re-occupied

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Dec 29 23:38:27 GMT 2005

CAFE RE-OCCUPIED AS OF 27TH DEC – COME AND HELP OUT!!
29.12.2005 18:15

[NB I tried the mobile numbers contained in this email and couldn't get anyone - TonyG]

Tony's cafe in Hackney's Broadway Market which has become the site of a community struggle against gentrification has been reclaimed (and
rebuilt!) after squatters were evicted last week.
URGENT ACTION: people are needed to come down and help out: we need people to help occupy the place, tables, bedding, food and gas heaters.

http://34broadwaymarket.omweb.org

More details:

COME AND DO A SHIFT IN THE CAFE
To prevent re-eviction we need people to keep the place full at all times.
If you can come down during the day or night for a few hours, let us know.
If you are not working this week we particularly need people to stay
overnight or come along in the early morning. Drop by the cafe or contact us on 07939 333 465 or 07949 239 415 and let us know what you can do.

TABLES, BEDDING, FOOD, GAS HEATERS
If you have any of the following to lend or give away we would be
delighted to come and pick them up for the cafe:
Bedding – sleeping bags, blankets, duvets, mattresses, sleeping mats,
futons etc.
Tables – dining tables or cafe type tables.
Food - whatever you can spare would be great!

Bring them to the cafe, or we can come and collect. Contact: 07939 333 465 or 07940 814 170 or drop by the cafe.

UNWANTED CHRISTMAS PRESENTS
We need entertainment! TVs, chocolates, videos, music (and musical
instruments) – all very welcome. We will be resuming film screenings and kids movies in the afternoon soon so watch this space!

On December 21st the occupation in defence of Tony's Cafe at 34 Broadway Market was evicted. Developer Dr Wratten's henchmen smashed half the place down. On Boxing Day morning, a new group of supporters of the campaign managed to enter and re-occupy the cafe.

We have now undertaken an ambitious reconstruction scheme and are
rebuilding the cafe almost as fast the wreckers smashed it down. (We plan not one but two floors – but no exclusive penthouse apartments or
concierge on this development!).

We still have lots of work to do, so if you have building skills or just would like to help out, we'd be glad to see you. We urgently need more bedding, food, heat, and other provisions. Anything you got for christmas and don't want would be gratefully received. Please come down if you would like to help out keeping the place occupied.

As promised, we are going to go on fighting for Tony to get his cafe back and to defend Spirit's shop. The fact that new people were willing to come forward and carry on this community occupation shows how strongly many in this area feel about the sell off of Tony's and Spirit's places.

For more information on why we occupied the cafe and what we are trying to achieve, please see the News updates section of our website.

 http://34broadwaymarket.omweb.org

Please sign up to our mailing list and pass this news on to everyone you know – we need your help to keep this thing going! Thanks to everyone for their support so far.