Tony's ecovillage in 'The Times'

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Thu Feb 24 21:08:29 GMT 2005

Thanks to Becca at the bubble for this!
Tony

Hypocrisy, a hut and a holiday village

By Richard Morrison
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1069-1085353,00.html

BRAVE or barmy, principled or perverse, Tony Wrench is a symbolic figure in
our confused times. And if you haven’t heard of him you haven’t been
following the extraordinary shenanigans in Pembrokeshire Coast National
Park with the attention they warrant. For the past seven years Wrench and
his partner, Jane Faith, having been living off the land in a grass-roofed
hut that Wrench secretly built for £3,000 at a farm called Brithdir Mawr in
the middle of that lovely national park. Just 30ft in diameter, the hut is
made from local coppiced wood and recycled junk, insulated by soil, and
solar powered.

It’s difficult to imagine a building that better demonstrates the virtues
of the “inexpensive, low-impact, sustainable, housing” to which our
Government and architectural establishment pay such lip service. Nor to
picture a way of life that does less damage to the countryside than that
pursued by Wrench and Faith, who milk goats, make cheese, harm nobody and
nothing, and provide tourists with a picturesque if slightly bizarre human
diversion to complement the park’s natural beauties.

We used to live in a country that treasured such eccentrics and
nonconformists. Yet for most of those seven years the Pembrokeshire Coast
National Park Authority has been relentlessly pursuing Wrench through the
courts with the aim of evicting him and demolishing the “Roundhouse”, as
his hut is known. I write “most” because it took the authority two years to
notice the building at all, so cleverly had Wrench (an architect by
training) wrapped it into the landscape. It was spotted only when a pilot,
policing the park from the air for illegal caravans, noticed the sun
glinting off the solar panel.

After years of resistance, Wrench and Faith were worn down. The threat of
imminent homelessness, the constant legal pressure and the fines (£1,000 so
far) took their toll. This Easter they decided to throw in the towel. They
moved their sparse furniture out, and prepared to dismantle the turf roof
that had resisted rain and snow for seven winters. “We were preparing to
move to a commune in Spain,” Wrench told me last week. “But it’s not where
we want to live. Wales is our country.”

Then came a dramatic turn of events. As Wrench was poised to demolish his
beloved Roundhouse, a bunch of 100 or so “eco-warriors” from a hippyish but
well-organised West Country lobby group called The Land Is Ours came
marching over the hill. They descended on the Roundhouse and (with Wrench’s
tacit approval) instituted a squat. It was a neat tactic: with squatters
inside his hut, Wrench could claim that he had no option but to cancel the
demolition. The result is that, temporarily at least, he is back with a
lawn over his head.

So why is the Pembrokeshire park authority so opposed to Wrench? It cites
“national planning policies” that forbid new houses in open countryside and
are especially restrictive in areas of outstanding natural beauty such as
national parks.

Fair enough, you say, though you might also feel that Catherine Milner, the
park’s chief planning officer, is overstating the British population’s
penchant for living in grass huts when she claims that, if she lets the
Roundhouse remain, “people will be building these things all over the place”.

But here’s an odd thing. Even as it attempts to obliterate Wrench’s humble
hut, the park is backing plans for a £60 million holiday village called
Bluestone, slap in the middle of its prized landscape. To be built by a
businessman, William McNamara (whose brother, Paddy, owns the nearby
Oakwood Leisure Park where a girl fell to her death from a ride last week),
the village will include a “snow dome”, a “water world”, a sports complex
and 340 chalets. The latter will not even be made with local materials or
by local craftsmen; they will be imported from Estonia.

I defy anyone to explain how a 30ft-wide grass-roofed hut is deemed to
besmirch the landscape, while the construction of a small town (which, in
effect, is what Bluestone will be) is fine. But money and politics also
come into the story, of course. McNamara promises to create 600 jobs, and
that seems to have dazzled Welsh Assembly members, who have awarded
Bluestone a £16 million grant.

Nevertheless, the Council for National Parks (the charity that scrutinises
all developments in our finest landscapes) is so enraged by the Bluestone
project that, last Friday, it went to the High Court to mount a legal
challenge to the Pembrokeshire Park Authority’s decision. The CNP cites
“serious legal concerns about the Authority’s disregard for its own
policies and the way in which the decision was made”. That last bit
presumably refers to the disturbing fact that several members of
Pembrokeshire County Council (which is also giving Bluestone financial
help) also sit on the park authority committee that gave Bluestone the
green light.

I have no opinion on that. But I do think the park authority is guilty of
monstrous hypocrisy. It guards its landscape ferociously against penniless
minnows, but seems to turn a blind eye to flagrant intrusions by a rich,
well-connected developer.

I accept, however, that Bluestone will bring precious jobs to rural Wales.
So what about an old-fashioned British compromise? Let the holiday village
proceed, but also let Tony Wrench keep his inspirational eco- hut. At the
very least it will give Bluestone’s holidaymakers a bit of real country
life to gawp at, once they have finished jumping about in their snow dome.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1069-1085353,00.html

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://www.peoplefinder.org.uk
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://www.evnuk.org.uk
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Nikki Ali, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce
Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org, office at evnuk.org.uk

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

INTL. INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES DIRECTORY http://directory.ic.org/

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -