New UK Sustainable Sevelopment Strategy out today, and....

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Mar 7 22:45:39 GMT 2005

Hi all,

The Government's new Sustainable Sevelopment Strategy is out today, and it's
completely and utterly VACUUOUS. Talk about a dodgy dossier!

I recommend that rather than look at the document itself, you compare it to
the previous strategies from 1994 and 1999. You can see how clear
implementable policy statements have been replaced with management-speak
style spin, pledges, aspirations, etc. E.g., comments relating to the UK
chairing the G8/European Union (no commitments, just the fact that the UK
might be able to do something in this position of power), Olympic Games (it's
going to bre 'sustainable'), etc. Clearly this policy document is going to be
fully implemented over it's lifetime because it doesn't promise anything!

You can download the PDF versions from:
http://www.sustainable-development.gov.uk/publications/uk-strategy/uk-strategy-2005.htm

P.

--

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html