Revealed: the rich landowners making hay on EU subsidies

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Mar 23 17:02:03 GMT 2005

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=622791

Revealed: the rich landowners making hay on EU subsidies

By Danielle Demetriou
The Independent, 23 March 2005

The system of allocating vast EU subsidies to wealthy landowners was
criticised yesterday as deeply flawed for failing to benefit farmers in need.

New figures revealed that estates owned by Britain's wealthiest men were among
those to have received hundreds of thousands of pounds in subsidies.

The extent of the subsidies came to light in figures released by the
government's Rural Payments Agency under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Duke of Westminster's estate received £448,000 under the EU's Common
Agricultural Policy (CAP) between 2003 and 2004, while the Duke of
Marlborough received £511,000 and the Duke of Bedford £366,000 in the same
period.

Oxfam called for "radical overhaul" of the system which it described as flawed
for failing to close the gap between struggling farmers and the wealthiest
landowners in Britain.

Phil Bloomer, Head of Oxfam's Make Trade Fair Campaign, said: "These figures
confirm what we already suspected: the EU's agricultural subsidy scheme is
skewed in favour of the richest landowners and biggest companies.

"While these people rake in millions, poor farmers at home and abroad are
going under. This information shows just how rotten our agricultural trade
system is and paves the way for urgent and radical reform.

"We want the EU to change agricultural trade rules in a way that benefits the
poorest farmers both at home and abroad. The immediate elimination of export
subsidies and a radical overhaul of the sugar regime, would be a good place
to start."

The figures also revealed that the Prince of Wales' Duchy of Cornwall estate
received nearly £135,000 in subsidies for 2003-2004.

A Clarence House spoke- sman said the Prince would not have received the
money: "The Duchy of Cornwall does not receive single payment subsidies as
they are paid directly to the tenants."

The National Farmers' Union insisted the information related to a system which
has now been abolished and replaced by a system based on a new set of
criteria.

NFU president Tim Bennett said: "Now in 2005 farmers receive support for
helping to manage the countryside.

"All payments from now on are subject to tough environmental conditions. The
public get real value for money. Farmers will receive £1.7bn, which equates
to only 0.14 per cent of total public spending, in return for managing 75 per
cent of land in England.

"The subsidy 'rich list' that no doubt will be reproduced by the media do not
reflect the reality for many farmers," he said. "The average net annual
earnings for farmers in the years for this information was only £13,000. The
total is a fraction of total public spending of £1,200bn."

The NFU next week launches an environmental campaign including a survey
showing 74 per cent of people support giving farmers public money for
managing the countryside.

THE BIG BENEFICIARIES

Subsidies in the EU's Common Agricultural Policy for 2003-2004:

* Estate owned by Duke of Westminster: £448,000

* Estate owned by Duke of Marlborough: £511,000

* Estate owned by Duke of Bedford: £366,000

* Estate owned by Earl of Plymouth: £459,000

* Estate of Marquess of Cholmondeley: £306,000

* The Prince of Wales' Duchy of Cornwall estate: nearly £135,000

--

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html