Tax the rich - keeping it simple

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 13:07:19 BST 2005

I wholeheartedly agree with Tony. LVT advocates all talk from the same,
unwavering, set script. However, I happen to think there is a case for a
development tax over a certain level, say £500,000, at the point of sale
of a property. Like income tax, this could be progressive, with further
levels of tax at a few other further thresholds, say £1 million, then £2
million ..etc. This would affect some areas such as the city of London,
Kensington & Chelsea, Hampstead, St. George's Hill ...more than others,
where the market value of property goes way beyond what would be
considered a high value in other areas of modest income differential, say
Glasgow

Mark