[diggers350] Tax the rich - keeping it simple

Jock Coats jock.coats at oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk
Sat Sep 3 13:41:00 BST 2005

On 2 Sep 2005, at 13:07, Mark wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree with Tony. LVT advocates all talk from the same,
> unwavering, set script.

Such a sweeping generalisation about someone you barely know except
through very occasional postings to an e-list really doesn't help.

> However, I happen to think there is a case for a
> development tax over a certain level, say £500,000, at the point of
> sale
> of a property. Like income tax, this could be progressive, with further
> levels of tax at a few other further thresholds, say £1 million, then
> £2
> million ..etc. This would affect some areas such as the city of London,
> Kensington & Chelsea, Hampstead, St. George's Hill ...more than others,
> where the market value of property goes way beyond what would be
> considered a high value in other areas of modest income differential,
> say
> Glasgow

You see, I just don't believe the two of you understand land economics
based on your theories about the effects of LVT (or the planning system
it would appear except in a very basic "campaigning" way).

LVT (and this is one of the reasons for some people looking for a
different name for it as Tony noted) doesn't "impose" anything on
anyone that they do not already pay to someone different.

You are collecting all of or a portion of the economic rent that every
piece of land already attracts.  The difference is that at the moment
people pay for this in the capital value of the property they buy to
the previous owner.  Where did that previous owner get the right to
collect that rent?  I'll tell you where - from the very people that
Gerard Winstanley was railing against - those who enclosed the commons
and the successor "owners" of our common wealth since.

Now, if you all believe that you can physically "unenclose" the commons
and dole it out to people without their own homes and smallholdings
without a violent revolution, good luck to you.  I don't believe you
can.

However, what you can do, by changing the tax system, is begin to
recover that economic rental value that the community creates through
LVT or the "community collection of rent".

Now I perhaps don't understand what your solutions are.  Whilst morally
and emotionally uplifting, helping a guy to keep his earth sheltered
house on the Pembrokeshire coast ain't going to go anywhere near
solving the land crisis as affects millions in the south east, south
west, or anywhere else.

However something that imposes a significant enough penalty on the
owners of 650,000 empty homes across England and Wales such that they
bring those properties into use again to house people, or something
that will, on a national scale, create significant incentives for
employers to relocate to places where workers and their housing are
affordable and their taxes will fall and so take the overheating out of
parts of the country, or something that properly values the cost to the
community of some fat-cat sitting on an ancestral pile in the heart of
north Oxford when all around are people crying out for a piece of land
just so they can minimise their trek to the daily toil, will.

Jock

> Mark
>
>> Jock, Yours is a quasi-evangelical misnomer - LVT won't redistribute
>> land

I'm not sure who is doing the preaching though.  None of what you say
below is verifiable or economically coherent IMHO.

--
Jock Coats
At: