Oxford boatyard squatters will fight on

Gerrard Winstanley news at tlio.org.uk
Fri Apr 14 10:29:42 BST 2006

We'll fight on, say squatters
By Emma-Kate Lidbury

http://www.thisisoxford.co.uk/display.var.724687.0.
well_fight_on_say_squatters.php

Campaigners on the lookout for eviction attempts

Protesters who have been squatting at an Oxford boatyard for more than
eight months could now be days away from eviction but they say they
will not go without a fight.

A group of about 20 campaigners has been living at the Castle Mill
boatyard, in Jericho, since August. They are battling against site
owner British Waterways to keep the site for community use.

Their campaign took a turn for the better in February, when Oxford
City Council agreed to look into buying the site for the community,
but yesterday protesters heard a rumour their eviction was imminent
and British Waterways last night confirmed it will soon be sending the
bailiffs in if the squatters do not leave.

British Waterways spokesman Eugene Baston said: "They were told by the
courts to leave by February 28. They have not done so, so now we are
proceeding to evict. We had hoped they would go of their own accord.
We appeal to them to do so as there is no defence in law for them
being there."

But John Keys, one of the protesters spearheading the campaign, said
they were heading for a "full-on confrontation". He added: "This could
be resolved peacefully without using bailiffs and brute force, but we
will fight this every step of the way. If British Waterways attempts
to force us out it's a bad idea."
'This could be resolved peacefully without using bailiffs and brute
force, but we will fight this every step of the way. If British
Waterways attempts to force us out it's a bad idea'
John Keys

The protesters are on high alert and have posted leaflets through
hundreds of doors in Jericho in a bid to recruit volunteers to help
patrol the boatyard day and night.

Mr Keys said: "We have taken the precaution of asking people from the
local community if they would stand shoulder to shoulder with us if
British Waterways try to evict us.

"The community seems to be almost 100 per cent behind us and we have
already had a positive response. We have to show we are a force to be
reckoned with."

British Waterways is expecting to receive quotes from seven bidders
the city council being one before the deadline in two weeks' time. The
asking price for the land is £4m.

Mr Baston added: "The plans have been in place for some time to evict
the squatters.

"If they do not go by the time a deal is agreed with the new
developer, they will be evicted."

9:16am Thursday 6th April 2006