[diggers350] Oxford boatyard squatters will fight on

Jock Coats jock.coats at oxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk
Fri Apr 14 11:55:49 BST 2006

A view from a part time campaigner on this...

I have to say that I think the City Council's "decision" in February
was one of the most astonishingly opportunistic publicity seeking
stunts I've seen.  No worse, of course, than promising a Caribbean
community centre here or new housing there of course, but at least
these others are within the remit and powers of the city council.
They tried to allocate a sum of money (£2.5 million I believe) and
then withdrew it in favour of "discussions with a view to buying" -
mainly because their sum fell a long way short of what BW think they
will get and in reality they knew there was no way they could afford
it, and, more importantly, do not have the skill in the organisation
to do it well if they could afford it.  Oxford City Council have a
hopeless record on property and negotiation on development IMHO and I
suspect that such a decision, if implemented in the bad old days of
councillors' surcharging, would have resulted in such a punishment
through total mismanagement.

I've been trying, both publicly and privately, in the local press and
to campaigners, developers, politicians and others, to get them all
talking about a Community Land Partnership/Land Trust approach but it
seems everyone's been too busy - protesting in the case of those who
want the boatyard to remain or singing loudly with fingers in ears in
the case of BW or posing for nice photos in the case of the high net
worth individuals I would expect to want to get involved more
practically/financially in securing the site's future - to be too
worried about finding any potential consensus.

It is clear to me that what BW want to do is itself opportunist and
simply out for maximising commercial gain (and I am also appalled by
the actions of a landowner that simply inherited nationalised land
for the benefit of the community not commercial gain), yet I am sure
that there is a middle ground that they would consider if it were put
forward in a way that was commercially acceptable to them.

This whole case seems to me, knowing the long history, to be a very
apt example of the antagonistic way the planning system all too often
operates.  You know, where a landowner wants to do something that was
not foreseen in the local plan and therefore is not prevented by it,
planning authority immediately tries to slap on supplementary
guidance knowing full well it will look like they are trying to
scupper the plans, and then both sides dig in, spending hundreds of
thousands of pounds paying barristers to argue it out.

The legal fees alone could have paid for most of what the campaigners
want if it had instead been put into some kind of community land
partnership!  I hate to be defeatist, but I fear this stand-off is
going to result in the worst of all solutions - squeezing something
for everyone onto the site and not actually resulting in a viable
space for an operating boatyard, community space, affordable housing
and all the rest without some kind of more creative thinking.

Putting everyone's faith in the planning system delivering what the
community wants and not what the landowner wants seems to me to put
too much hope in a system prejudiced in favour of the landowner.

All that said, I wish the campaigners well.  I can't help feeling (as
I suppose anyone promoting what they think is a good potential
solution would) that their energies have been misdirected into
protest rather than practical consideration of ways out of the
impasse.  And that if there is a final victory, they will not even
get some of their aims fulfilled now because the heat has been turned
up so much.  BW are now (if they weren't already) in a mood to be
bloody minded and have probably spent too much money fighting now to
be in any sense concilliatory.

Jock

--
Jock Coats - Chair, Oxfordshire Community Land Trusts
c/o Warden's Flat 1e, J Block Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0FF
m: +44 (0)7769 695767 e: jock.coats at oclt.org.uk
www: http://www.oclt.org.uk/ - http://jockcoats.blogspot.com/