[diggers350] Flood plain protest same issues as the Climate Camp?

Ian Gregory yahoo at zenatode.org.uk
Tue Aug 21 18:31:50 BST 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 04:04:27PM -0000, Gerrard Winstanley wrote:

> Anyway - I'm sure you don't agree with some of that but its more
> reason why this list should stick firmly to TLIO's original aims and
> not get sidelined by Climate Change which is a long haul flight away
> from Land Ownership and distribution which is at the root of so much
> of the nation's problems.

The fact that the Government is simultaneously stressing
the need to reduce UK CO2 emissions *and* to embark on a
huge airport expansion program is an absurd contradiction
which should be of concern to everyone. You may not see it
as a land issue but the fact is that many of those at the
Camp for Climate Action were there primarily because they
are under threat of eviction to make way for a third Heathrow
runway (and therfore in the same position as allotment
holders etc being forced off their land to make way for the
Olympics).

Climate change is also one of the reasons why it is particularly
idiotic to build new homes on flood plains, since it is widely
accepted that the frequency and severity of flooding is increasing
as a result of it.

Nobody is suggesting that TLIO switch to campaigning about
climate change but clearly there are areas of significant
overlap where it makes sense to cooperate - or at least not
stab each other in the back.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory