What are land rights?

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Sat Dec 1 09:57:06 GMT 2007

Here is a transcript of a discussion between Tony Gosling, who
moderates Diggers 350 and myself about what should and shouldn't go
up on the Diggers list.  Tony has a more narrow view of what
constitutes land rights than I. It would be good to hear what other
people think.

The Land Is Ours mission statement is to "campaign peacefully for
access to the land, its resources, and the decision-making processes
affecting them, for everyone, irrespective of race, gender or age."

  In my view access to land obviously includes access to roads — and
access to its resources includes the world's atmosphere to which
everybody should have broadly equal access, whereas at present
citizens of the UK use about 10 times as much as citizens of India.

I suggest that material relating to roads, climate etc should be
allowed on the site when it explicitly addresses issues of access and
equity, but not when it doesn't . So, for example a posting  on
carbon offsetting through buying up tropical forests would  be
relevant, as would a posting on carbon rationing. But a posting on
the rate at which glaciers are melting, or police behaviour at the
climate camp, for example would probably not be.

Any comments?

Simon

Begin forwarded message: