Bailiffs set to move in on Ilford squatters

Tony Gosling tony at tlio.org.uk
Fri Jan 19 11:37:32 GMT 2007

Bailiffs set to move in on squatters
- 18 January 2007

CORNERED: Councillors outside the house inhabited by squatters
http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/content/redbridge/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsIlford&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsilford&itemid=WeED18%20Jan%202007%2010%3A15%3A56%3A570
click link for picture

BAILIFFS are preparing to evict squatters who have refused to leave a
former Age Concern building they have occupied for six months.

The 10 squatters moved into The Corner House, located at the junction of
Grove Park and High Street, Wanstead, when the building was temporarily
shut for refurbishment.

They claim to have set up gas and electricity bills in their names and
maintained the building, but councillors have called time on the
squatters' rent-free existence.

Cllr Sue Nolan, Snaresbrook ward member and cabinet member for adult
social services, said: "I hope their departure goes smoothly after all
this time. I'm eager to see what condition the building will be in.

"I know there are some people who are sympathetic to the squatters, but we
want to get the building back in our possession so it can be used for the
community."

Elderly people who used to attend a luncheon club at The Corner House have
been forced to occupy the smaller former Wanstead Fire Station building in
Wanstead Place.

In November squatters remained defiant when faced with an eviction order.

One said: "People think we're a load of freeloaders. The house is not
being used - it's not like we're trashing it.

"When we got here the garden was overgrown, we tidied it and we're paying
for electricity and gas.

"It's expensive to live in London, most of us are artists and musicians.
They will get it back in a better condition."

A Redbridge Council spokesman said: "We have now instructed bailiffs to
proceed in serving the order and making arrangements to evict the
squatters as soon as possible.

--
www.bilderberg.org
www.radiodialect.net