Allotment group lose court fight to stop housing development

Mark Brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:26:14 BST 2007

This is really bad new as this could now set a dangerous legal precedent for
the disposal of allotments in other parts of the country.

There are three types of allotments in the UK: statutory allotments which
have the protection of the Allotment Act 1925, temporary allotments, and
private allotments.

The allotments in Eastleigh are statutory allotments. Statutory allotments
may only be disposed of with the agreement of the Secretary of State. This
is why the Allotment holders in Eastleigh claimed the government had acted
illegally, filing for a Judicial Review.

The local campaign are considering an appeal. Take a look at their excellent
website, pasted below the BBC News report. TLIO might like to consider how
it might like to respond to this.

Allotment group lose court fight
Monday, 25 June 2007
BBC News Online
Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6239488.stm

Allotment holders in Hampshire have lost their High Court fight to stop
their land from being sold for housing.

Eastleigh Borough Council wants to build hundreds of new affordable homes on
allotment land at South Street and Monks Way.

Tenants at the two sites have been fighting the plans for five years.

Mr Justice Calvert Smith acknowledged "a looming crisis in allotment
provision" but backed the decision to allow the land to be developed.

Charlie Hopkins, one of the allotment holders who had travelled to London
for the judicial review challenge, said they were both surprised and
disappointed.

"We're very disappointed, we're disappointed and mystified frankly, because
the judge agreed there's a 'looming crisis' in allotment provision in
Eastleigh."

New sites

A third allotment site, in Woodside Avenue, is also earmarked by the council
for housing.

Tony Murrell, another campaigner, said: "I think we'd lose a hugely valuable
site in Eastleigh.

"This is a real green oasis in the middle of a very built up area which
people really treasure." Kevin Warren, of Eastleigh Borough Council, said he
was pleased with the outcome of Monday's hearing.

"We hope this will draw a line under proceedings now and that we can start
moving the allotment holders from the sites they currently occupy to the
sites we've built around the town."

He said the council has built five new sites and was offering to help tenant
relocate to one of them.

The allotment holders have a week to appeal against the decision. [end]

The website of Eastleigh and Bishopstoke Allotments Co-operative Association
Ltd and the campaign to save Eastleigh’s allotments:
http://www.eastleigh-allotments-association.org.uk/dont_lose_the_plot.htm

FROM THE WEBSITE: the Secretary of State for Communities and Local
Government decision to grant consent for the disposal of South Street and
Monks Way allotments significantly undermines the Government's stated intent
to ensure that adequate protection is afforded to allotments (click on the
following link for UK Government's Allotment Disposal Criteria):
http://www.eastleigh-allotments-association.org.uk/criteria_for_disposal.htm

See also: BBC News Report on 13 June on the allotments entitled
"One day all this will be multi-occupancy units":

Further info: http://www.nsalg.org.uk/