Evictions in Hampstead and the Philippines

Gerrard Winstanley tony at tlio.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 19:33:59 BST 2007

Nine squatters killed thwarting eviction in Philippines
Asia-Pacific News
Jun 26, 2007, 8:39 GMT
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/news/
article_1322525.php/
Nine_squatters_killed_as_eviction_thwarted_in_Philippines

Manila - Nine people were killed and 10 wounded when squatters fought
off a government eviction and demolition team in the northern
Philippines, a police report said Tuesday.

The clash erupted Monday after armed squatters attacked a demolition
crew sent to evict them in the upland town of Rizal in Kalinga
province, 330 kilometres north of Manila.

The fatalities were from the ranks of the squatters while the 10
wounded were police officers acting as reinforcements to the
demolition crew, which was not able to evict the illegal settlers,
the police report said.

Police recovered three assault rifles, three shotguns, a hand grenade
and bullets allegedly belonging to the squatters at the end of the
fighting late Monday.

The squatters had occupied farmland owned by a powerful politician in
the province, had built thatched houses on the land and had farmed
it. The attempted eviction was conducted after the politician had
secured a court order to evict the settlers.

No new date had been sent to attempt the evictions and demolition
again.

>From the manor torn: Squatters are kicked out of £10million house
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/camden/hamhigh/news/
story.aspx?brand=NorthLondon24&category=Newshamhigh&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newshamhigh&itemid=WeED29%20Jun%202007%2011%3A22%3A21%3A770
editorial at hamhigh.co.uk
Katie Davies

The mansion squatters in Hampstead Garden Suburb who made headlines
across the world are being kicked out.

But, far from being homeless when they are evicted in mid-July, the
group has landed a new millionaire's retreat just around the corner.

Earlier this month, the Ham&High was first to reveal that 11
squatters had moved into a £10million home on Ingram Avenue.

The story became national news in this country and across Europe.

Squatter Calin explained: "The owner came to see us and said we had
to leave.

"He was a little evasive and said he was quite happy with us. But
then some neighbours didn't want us here.

"I asked if that was the media coverage and he said he wasn't sure. I
have found somewhere around the corner. Not all of us will be moving
in there, just some.

"The new place is nicer - it is exactly what we are looking for.

"I will miss the house but more the people in it.

"It's how it goes. Nothing lasts forever and it couldn't have had a
happy ending.

"The reaction to us has all been positive from people. We did it
right, kept our word and people understood our point of view so it is
cool."

Earlier this month, the squatters gave the Ham&High a tour around the
Ingram Avenue house, which was used on the set of movie The Upside Of
Anger, starring Kevin Costner.

With 10 bedrooms, a swimming pool, poker room, party area and gym, it
was a real luxury retreat for the squatters.

Owner Vertical Properties is engaged in a court battle with the
Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust over the house's future. It wants to
demolish and replace it with two new homes. But the trust is opposing
the plan on conservation grounds.

Initially neighbours and owners did not mind the squatters living on
the road which is one of the 20 most expensive in the country.

But the coverage seems to have changed their minds.

And fearful publicity will drive them out of their new home, the
squatters are not revealing their address this time around.

Calin said: "They didn't want us. We don't want to cause trouble - so
that's it.

"I want to keep the new place private and live there quietly.

"Overall, though, the publicity has been more positive than negative.

"I am working on a couple of projects with photographers and
documentary makers. We have even had Romanian TV shooting us all day.
These positives are much more important."

Some of the squatters have also offered their work for property
restoration after learning how to renovate homes through the Ingram
Avenue pad.

They have requested anyone with an empty property, who wants the
squatters to move in and take care of it until it is back in use, to
contact them via the Ham&High.

katie.davies at hamhigh.co.uk