evidence to Treasury select committee

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 13:33:33 BST 2007

the following has been sent to the Treasury Select Committee

PROFESSOR NIELL FERGUSSON
Talking of the problem of  America's  chronically unbalanced domestic
finances  , the New York University professor of financial history  and
senior research fellow of  Oxford ,  Niall Fergusson , says

"The magnitude of the  problem is such that most Americans including those
who consider themselves well informed about the nation's finances , find it
quite simply incredible. Indeed the main reason why America's fiscal  crisis
remains  latent  is precisely that people refuse to believe in  its
existence. "

In UK the same is true of the consequences of the housing crisis. People,
whilst wondering at the phenomenon of out of reach and  still rising house
prices and the endemic low supply of new houses,  refuse to believe  in its
significance.

This paragraph is an attempt to make the housing crisis real to the reader,
preparatory to identifying the parties who cause it  and establishing the
methods to cure the problem.

BUYING THE LAND UNDER A HOUSE
A patch of the best grade 'A' agricultural land,  big enough to fit a house
on has an average value of  £175.
When it gets planning permission for building a house (before the digger has
moved in  ) it  is worth
£62,500.
When you subsequently take out a mortgage to pay for the house built there
you have to pay back in interest and repayments over twentyfive years, £
133,000 - and that’s for the site and is additional  to paying for the
mortgage for the bricks and mortar of the house itself.

BUYING THE HOUSE
The price of an average house is  £200,000.  The average mortgage taken out
is 80% of the house value.

COMMENT
Mortgage lending has now reached astronomical and  unsustainable levels  in
terms of  both
personal finance  and in the level of stress to meet the repayments  imposed
on people in terms of work, travel and accomodation, or even to  secure
accomodation  or contemplate such commitments.

On this anomaly rests our banking system, much of our economy and the credit
boom .  On such  foundations  rests our housing crisis.  This  involves the
credibility of our financial regulatory system, of our financial
institutions, and of the integrity of successive governments and brings into
  question the meaning of our 'democracy'

The parties causing this anomaly  are identifiable, as are the means of
reforming the market,  but until the scale of the problem  is acknowledged
this crisis is a latent  threat to national financial and political
stability.   James Armstrong.         30th April 2007
(contributor to The Barker Review)
Sources:
"The Rise and Fall of the American Empire" p 262
Inland Revenue
Halifax Building Society