cyber pétition supporting commissioner Dimas' decision to oppoe genetically modified maize

Maxey L. l.maxey at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 09:59:46 GMT 2007

On 25 October, Stavros Dimas, European Commissioner for the Environment, stood up to big agribusiness - refusing to allow cultivation of two varieties of genetically modified maize (Bt 11 and 1507).

But the chemical companies pushing these genetically engineered seeds have powerful allies. It's possible Dimas' unprecedented decision will be overturned at the EU Commission meeting in early November.

A strong outcry of support from the public is needed to get the EU Commission to put the health of its citizens before the commercial interests of two chemical companies.

To help, send this message to Manuel Barroso, the President of the European Commission, and Commissioners Dimas, Kyprianou and Fischer-Boel.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/getinvolved/support-dimas-on-maize?MM_URL=RSSthings-can-do <http://www.greenpeace.org/international/getinvolved/support-dimas-on-maize?MM_URL=RSSthings-can-do>

Dear European Commissioners,

I am writing to express my full support for the proposal of the EU's Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas to reject the authorisation of the two varieties of GM (genetically modified) maize (Bt 11 and 1507) developed by the chemical companies Syngenta and Pioneer/Dow. Scientists have recently shown that these GMOs have negative impacts on the environment and can cause more damage than previously thought.

I urge you to take these scientific findings into consideration and to ensure that these risky crops, whose real consequences are unpredictable, will not be cultivated commercially in Europe. Such a precautionary approach would be in line with the stance of a growing number of EU Member States that have banned or suspended the cultivation of GMOs.

By rejecting these authorisations, the Commission would be acting in compliance with EU legislative requirements, namely implementing the precautionary principle and respecting the EU's provisions on risk assessment. The majority of European citizens have continuously stated that they do not want GMOs to be grown in Europe.

I expect the European Commission to put environmental safety and the health of its citizens before the commercial interests of two chemical companies.

I call on you to put the environment and health first and support the proposal by Commissioner Dimas not to authorise these new GM maize varieties.