post office closure consultation

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 17:24:43 BST 2008

Here is my response to the consultation on post office closures which
closes on 9 April. Please remember to send in your protest before
then to

consultation at postoffice.co.uk

Dear Sir/Madam

I run a business selling scythes and other garden tools by mail
order. Most of my customers are rural. I spend nearly £4000 per year
in  my local post-office (S Petherton, Somerset). This is not yet
under threat. I use the post office because it is a more efficient
service than the private couriers. It it is more efficient because
postmen know the district better than couriers; and when somebody is
not in, then  the parcel can be left at a local post office close to
the recipient, rather than at a couriers' depot in a more distant
large town.

It is absolutely insane to shut post offices down. Shutting down the
unprofitable ones is as stupid as Beeching shutting down the
tributary railway lines — you need the tributaries to make the whole
system comprehensive. If they can't be paid for at the moment then
the whole system is unprofitable, and you need to put another penny
on the price of stamps.

The lack of profitability, and the dismantling of the service  is
driven by an ideological obsession with "competitiveness" which means
we have dozens of white vans running around the countryside
delivering individual packets and getting lost, when all reasonably
sized packages could  be delivered by one red van. There are
situations where competition is beneficial, but transport
infrastrucure is not one of them (as the privatization of rail and
buses has shown) . Having all these private couriers running around
is as stupid as building two competing roads to a destination when
one could carry all the traffic. All we need is Royal Mail, and
Parcel Force, both of which are easily accessible through the post
office.

The government is supposed to be addressing global warming. If it
were serious about this it would be ensuring that there were post
offices in every village that provided a one-stop shop for all sorts
of vital services, and that had a monopoly on postal delivery,
because we cannot afford to keep thousands of competing white vans
running around creating unneccessary emissions.

Simon Fairlie