More on Zimbabwe

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Tue Apr 8 00:21:05 BST 2008

Here is another article on Zimbabwe, to add to the one sent in
earlier by Djehuti Sundaka
I have cut it considerably. The full article is at http://
maravi.blogspot.com/2008/04/herald-british-interest-in-poll-telling.html
Considering the grotesque bias in the British media's reporting of
events in Zimbabwe, I find this article quite restrained.
Simon

British interest in poll telling
By Peter Mavunga
IT HAS been a momentous week. The harmonised presidential,
parliamentary and local elections have concentrated the minds of many
Zimbabweans wherever they are. But they have also attracted a level
of interest from beyond our borders. In Britain, the interest has
been keen. This has manifested itself in acres of newsprint devoted
to the subject;journalists (like John Simpson) smuggling themselves
into Zimbabwe despite the ban on the BBC; and a debate in the House
of Commons in which David Miliband, the British foreign secretary,
made a full statement.
Miliband said the level of interest is due to their concern for
Zimbabweans whose will, he argued, had to be respected. He called for
the results of the elections to be published as soon as possible as
further delay was likely to heighten suspicion.This sounds
wonderfully balanced and diplomatic although it is the point of view
of a government minister who, like many before him, wants President
Mugabe to go.
The whole media coverage has been about maximising the President’s
discomfort to facilitate his “departure”. A good example was Jeremy
Paxman’s question for Cde Boniface Chidyausiku, Zimbabwe’s USA envoy,
on Newsnight on Wednesday night.“Why doesn’t he just go?” Paxman
asked. “To go where?” came the rhetorical question in reply.
For all their “good” intentions and ‘‘love’’ for the people of
Zimbabwe, the British interest in Zimbabwe’s electoral process ought
to be seen in the context of their perceived interests in the
country. If we lose sight of this we do so at our own peril. The
responsibility to remove Cde Mugabe from office or any public servant
for that matter, is a matter for Zimbabweans. It is no business of
the British to inject haste and sense of urgency ito a  process,
which Morgan Tsvangirai, MDC faction leader said on Tuesday he was
going to allow to take its course.
British intervention in matters like this has tended to be partisan,
condescending and unhelpful. It has implied that Africans cannot
manage their affairs, let alone resolve their own differences
peacefully.The coded message inherent in what they were saying was
that Zimbabwe was about to descend into Kenya-type chaos of murder
and destruction. Talk of “tensions rising” was designed to whip up
feelings of grievance to trigger a violent reaction.
Once Zimbabwe was in smoke; images of dead bodies like we saw in
Kenya, would become the subject of western cameras. It is all done in
the interest of informing the world what is going on in the African
country. Yet, if truth be told, bodies of dead British soldiers
coming from Iraq are quite rightly never paraded in public. This
would be an affront of public decency.
It is essential, that Africans should consider themselves capable of
doing what they have to do for themselves. Sikhanyiso Ndlovu put it
nicely when he told an interviewer earlier this week that: “We do not
do things in order to please you.”