Wembley Tent City Occupation: Press Release

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:20:36 BST 2008

Wembley Tent City Occupation: Press Release, 30/06/2008
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/403319.html

Wembley Tent City Occupation | 10.07.2008 14:13 | Education | Free
Spaces | Social Struggles | London | Oxford
The Latest Press Release from the Wembley Tent City Occupation: Smash
School Privatisation, dated 30 June 2008.

TENT CITY IS BACK!

England's longest running and most acrimonious dispute over a proposed
academy school has reached new heights.

Protesting local residents and teachers have re-established their
`Tent City' and reoccupied the site.

The protestors previously occupied the site for six months and even
took their protest to the trees, occupying tree houses they had built.
The site was vacated when the protestors won a year's extension on the
lease.

As we said in our last press release the council now want to throw
everyone off by 31st July and indeed has threatened immediate
eviction. This high handed threat was after the council had promised
in writing to help with ensuring all businesses would be relocated yet
have done nothing. This includes the Sunflower nursery children.

As Nick Wallis said in his ITV report the council (and ARK) are doing
this as a physical possession as soon as possible to frustrate the
protest.

Hank Roberts, Brent ATL and NUT Secretary said, "The Council refuse to
listen to any opposition to this ill thought out scheme to build a
school on the sports ground. This latest outrage shows the latest in a
long list of disregarding any pact or promise they make to the
community. We aim to win this fight and stop the academy going ahead."

Ends

For more details contact 0776 2737 306 or 0784 3282450

 hankr at hotmail.com

www.tentcityoccupation.co.uk/

Gallery

 http://www.tentcityoccupation.co.uk/gallery.html

ITV London Tonight Report:

 http://www.itvlocal.com/london/news/?player=LON_News_15&void=204972

Anti-Academy Teachers Take To The Trees

 http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/09/380945.html

Wembley Summer Camp Open: Squat The Land, Smash School Privatisation

 http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/402476.html

Wembley Anti-Academy Tent City Facing Eviction: Party And Resist!!!

 http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/07/403124.html

Wembley Teachers Say No To Privatised Schooling

 http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/06/wembley-teachers-say-no-
to-privatised.html

200 School Pupils In Huts On A Construction Site

 http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/06/200-school-pupils-in-
huts-on.html

The Boil on Busson's Butt

 http://jasonnparkinson.blogspot.com/2008/07/boil-on-bussons-butt.html

Save Our Schools 22-minute film available on Reel News issue 13
Stop them Privatising Our Schools available on Reel News issue 12
Wembley Occupation available on Reel News issue 10

 http://www.reelnews.co.uk/

Wembley Tent City Occupation
 e-mail: hankr at hotmail.com
 Homepage: http://www.tentcityoccupation.co.uk